Worst Cookware

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cast iron is made non stick with a layer of burnt oil and we all know burning oil makes it carcinogenic, along with the need to consume antioxidants to avoid oxygen from, giving us cancer.
No such thing as best pan, just ones that do what you want and those that don’t. Finding those’d that do is where the fun is.

... and two nonstick Ninjas which are excellent.
I think I may be trying one of those.
Although we tend to use and wear out the thin cheap Tefal versions specifically because we want a light weight wok, I picked up a KitchenAid heavy aluminium frying pan on a whim and find the thick aluminium is great for distributing the heat and preventing hot spots. The ninja zerostick wok is starting to look pretty good.

BBC sounds "best thing since sliced bread, or bs ?" series looked at pans recently.
They discussed non stick and other finishes. I thought a modern laminate design sounded nice. Stainless steel inside, aluminium layer for heat conduction, induction compatible base. Yes, they make those :)
BS!

My cast iron frying pan works better than some nonstick pans.
It takes a little work to season a new one, but unlike modern non stick, it will last for generations.
You can also get carbon steel frying pans which are similar to the cast iron in needing to be seasoned with oil. They have the advantage of being much lighter.

If that was regards the steel / aluminium pan, why ?
Stainless is a good material for the inside of a pan because it's durable and easy to maintain.
Aluminium, even alloys, conduct heat much better than stainless.
Induction cooking needs a ferrous base and high carbon stainless seems pretty universal for these.
The only downsides I can see are weight and price.

I have s/s pans that work on induction hobs that I got about 15? years ago when Tesco used to run the coupon schemes - they are superb pans. Most of my Le Creuset I've given to my daughter, though I still use the skillet and the gratin dishes.

My cast iron frying pan works better than some nonstick pans.
It takes a little work to season a new one, but unlike modern non stick, it will last for generations.
And it is almost indestructible, so far mine has lasted two marriages over a fifty year period including ten years single in between, such wonderful memories. 😇

Latest posts

Back