Worktop with integrated upstand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnBrown

Established Member
Reaction score
Just come back from the USA where my niece's kitchen worktop had a rounded edge and also an integral upstand. The corners were plain mitres, but I was trying to work out if there was another way, akin to the so-called mason's mitre, to join this type of worktop. Just curious, I would never fit the ugly stuff anyway!

John

This is something thats often done with corian and any site joints are usually not done right at a corner so its just a butt joint on site.

The upstand is not integral to the work surface so when the worktop is fabricated off site the separate cove and upstand are bonded into a rebate cut along the back of the worktop and would just have a standard mitred joint on internal & external corners.

Jason

Thanks for the reply, but this stuff was not Corian, it was what I think is called post-formed(probably chipboard with a plastic laminate surface), and the upstand was very definitely integral.

I know it exists, because I've seen it, I still can't get my head round how one might join it at right angles other than a simple 45 degree mitre. But, as I said, I'm simply curious.

Hi,

I fitted worktop like you've described. Again, it was in the states for sister. Its chipboard style worktop and another piece of chip board glued/attahced as upstand and then finish layer formed and bonded over the two pieces.

You buy the pieces either as straight plain lengths or if you have corners to do they offer pieces with full width mitres - very odd when you first see these. Butterfly bolt holes already cut on the underside of these pieces.

Its typically the big sheds in the states that offer this type of stuff for off the shelf sales.

I have fitted the same stuff in this country but luckily I didnt have to do any corner joints. The stuff I fitted was for basins in a toilet, it was chipboard with a downstand and an upstand all preformed.

Latest posts

Back