Worktop router buying advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jobsagooden

Established Member
Reaction score
jobsagooden":i0ho86yd said:
I need a 1/2 router for kitchen fits, done lots of fits and this is where business seams to be going.

So which router :-k

Porter cable 1/34 HP might well do it and that is a very good price.
http://www.maxtool.co.uk/index/porter-cable/routers.asp

Festool 1400w would be great, but that is very expensive
http://www.power-tool-world.co.uk/festool/of1400ebq.htm

Matabo looks good
http://www.power-tool-world.co.uk/metabo/ofe1812.htm

Ideally three year warranty

Any advice would be great

Sorry, as such a new member, our spam check is holding off your links. Hopefully they'll show up in this post.

Maybe worth looking at this

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... ol&start=0

Adam

Welcome aboard Jobsagoodun,

The routers you highlight all look a little lightweight to me for kitchen fitting, where you are going to be doing a lot of worktops.

I would look at something like the DeWalt DW625, a real beast of a router which will cope admirably. It works great in a table too. You can pick up a factory rework model with full warranty for £199 + VAT

Cheers
Brad

I'd go for the DeWalt 625 as Brad says also. Ample power and performance, but not too heavy to heft around as necessary. It doesn't say where you are on your profile. but the DeWalt Factory Outlet outside Durham, has them for £200 all included.

I'm another one to favour the DW625 (or it's equilvalents/copies, the CMT 1850 and Trend T10). The deWalt is powerful and relatively compact (unlike the older Bosches and the Makita which I find a bit "tippy"). I've seen them around for less than £200 (inc VAT)

Scrit

The routers you highlight all look a little lightweight to me for kitchen fitting, where you are going to be doing a lot of worktops.

I don't like this lets stick a 2000w motor in it mentality that manufactures seam to bend on doing. In a table fine.

Dewalt are very simular to trend, as trend do supply there accesseries, but not as good.

Freud FT3000 is good value and nice robust machine retails circa £235 I think

I tried getting screwfixs offer of these placed the order but they rang the next day to say they were sold out.

I've used my old Hitachi TR12 for routing worktop. Although a very solid machine at 1350W frankly it is was almost struggling. No substitute for watts routing the 40mm worktop IMO, a 2kW machine is best. I have an Hitachi M12V in the table (the previous sensible looking model to the current thing that looks like an accident in a plastics factory). At 1850W it copes easily with large cutters and heavy cuts.

Ike

jobsagooden":dhq261ux said:
I don't like this lets stick a 2000w motor in it mentality that manufactures seam to bend on doing. In a table fine.
Actually if you look at the depth of cut you're trying to achieve 2-3/4 HP or 2000 watts makes sense (12.7mm diameter x 38 mm = 3 to 4 passes on a DW625). A 1400 watt router will possibly bog down that much quicker unless you take lighter cuts. And the "2000 watt mentality" as you put it has been with us since firms like Elu introduced relatively small, powerful plunge routers in the late 1960s. Back then the market was being driven by tradesmen who wanted and needed more powerful and lighter routers than the 1200 watt offerings by people like Stanley, Centec and Black & Decker. Anyway if you don't believe me have a look at what the average kitchen fitter uses and you'll find the vast majority use DWs or Makita - 2000 watt ones. Why do you think that is?

jobsagooden":dhq261ux said:
Dewalt are very simular to trend, as trend do supply there accesseries, but not as good.
The Trend T10/T11 and CMT 1850 all come from the same deWalt factory in Italy (unlike the MOF96 clones). Trend had a long relationship with Elu, from importing the routers in 1955 until deWalt took over Elu power tools about 20 years back - so Trend accessories are designed to fit deWalt routers, but Trend themselves don't appear to make anything. They are distributors, surely?

Scrit

Scrit":1jeyee0a said:
jobsagooden":1jeyee0a said:
Actually if you look at the depth of cut you're trying to achieve 2-3/4 HP or 2000 watts makes sense (12.7mm diameter x 38 mm = 3 to 4 passes on a DW625). A 1400 watt router will possibly bog down that much quicker unless you take lighter cuts. And the "2000 watt mentality" as you put it has been with us since firms like Elu introduced relatively small, powerful plunge routers in the late 1960s. Back then the market was being driven by tradesmen who wanted and needed more powerful and lighter routers than the 1200 watt offerings by people like Stanley, Centec and Black & Decker. Anyway if you don't believe me have a look at what the average kitchen fitter uses and you'll find the vast majority use DWs or Makita - 2000 watt ones. Why do you think that is?

jobsagooden":1jeyee0a said:
The Trend T10/T11 and CMT 1850 all come from the same deWalt factory in Italy (unlike the MOF96 clones). Trend had a long relationship with Elu, from importing the routers in 1955 until deWalt took over Elu power tools about 20 years back - so Trend accessories are designed to fit deWalt routers, but Trend themselves don't appear to make anything. They are distributors, surely?

Scrit

This guy is from trend

Hi Russ,

The Body of the machines are very similar, however, the base of the T10 is machined deeper (+1mm) to accept the more accurate Trend Guide Bush System, therefore the recess on the 625 is not deep enough to accept the plate & guide bush. If you fitted a T10 Guide Bush Plate and Guide Bush to a 625 the Guide Bush Top Ring and Screw heads are likely to snag on the workpiece.

The T11 has a much larger aperture and a recessed base, therefore this would definately not fit the 625.

You may be aware that Trend Brought Elu Routers to the UK in 1955 whilst Elu was an independent company. When Black & Decker bought Elu , Trend worked very closeley to continue producing their routing accessories. Although as DeWalt this arrangement has changed somewhat we both still have a close working relationship.

HTH

andy@trend

That's why they sell the Sub-Base! Any accessory provider 'pushes' their own brand name over others.

As for:
the more accurate Trend Guide Bush System
Lee Valley, Freud and Porter Cable amongst others would probably disagree. However the choice is yours. Advice is given, but it's up to you to take it or not ....

Don't worry i will be taking advice, and am waying up all the time.

Why buy a dewalt when the base in made by trend but is deliberately made 1mm thinner so you can't use the the guide brush with out the uni-base.

Any way any more recommendations

What about the metabo I like the three year warranty (even though as i type i am still waiting for them to pick up my sxe450 duo after phoning on wed)
more info here

I think that's Trend making their bushes to fit Trend Routers, then selling another base to fit all the rest! Sounds good business (for them) to me!

The main thing is the Router and it being suited to its primary job i.e. Kitchen Fitting. That's what should guide you - not a set of plastic bushes and base.

Hi Jobsagodden,

Just bought a new router for worktop cutting. I plumped for the Trend T11.
Loads of power ,all the bits included and massive 85mm plunge, this has its advantages if you have to rout through the worktops into the cabinet top rails for sink or hob cut outs.

Its also very good if you use the Trend lock jig.

Very happy with mine and would recommend.

The other one I would go for would be the Festool OF 2000 (must confess I am a Festool addict, (because of this forum))
I keep attending the therapy sessions but can`t kick the Green and Black devils . (They are dam good tools)
:)

What do people think about the 3 year warrantees some offer. I know that i would be on hear being very annoyed if after 18 months of use my sanders bearings had gone. Professional tools IMHO should all come with 3 year warranties.

I'd expect a decent industrial quality power tool to last 3 years of normal trade use without breaking down. So I've never included an extended warranty as a purchase criterion. Incidentally I have bought mostly Hitachi in the past and none of it's ever had a problem, even the Ni-Cad's have lasted up to 5 years. My old TR12 router is over 20 years old and still going strong.
cheers,

Ike

Back