Quantcast

Worktop mitre.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Silfi

Reaction score
I am going to instal 2 worktops in a "L" shape (into a corner).
For convenience I am considering asking the worktop supplier to cut the mitre joint. Both sides are approx 2.1m long and hence heavy to handle on my own.
My concern is how do I adjust the mitre joint if the walls are not an exact right angle?

marcros

(Trevanion)+1
Reaction score
I have never done it, but I presume that this is why they are normally cut on site.

custard

Established Member
Reaction score
You determine what the true angle is and then you split that angle in half. So, let's say the true angle between the two walls is 92 degrees, then you cut the mitres at 46 degrees. If the true angle was 89 degrees then you'd cut the mitres at 44.5 degrees. But a mason's mitre is a far more common solution (a butt joint but with a small mitred section inside the corner to accommodate any moulding or post formed section.

Phil Pascoe

occasional purveyor of blunt tools.
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
From what I've read manufacturers recommend the use of a butt and if needed a mason's mitre rather than a mitre across the corner.

toolsntat

Established Member
Reaction score
We need to know what worktop you are getting and the edge profile/material?
They offering this service or you asking if they'll do it?
Cheers Andy

TFrench

Established Member
Reaction score
Plenty of vids on youtube on the process. As a minimum you need a decent power 1/2" router and a worktop jig. If you're not likely to do it again or aren't comfortable doing it I'd see if you can find a decent local carpenter to do it.

Silfi

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, sorry -- I should have given more details---
The worktops are 60cm wide laminate. The supplier will cut a mason's mitre at exactly 90 degrees.
I have access to a suitable router, jig and cutter.
If the angle is wrong which part do I adjust --the male or female.
Or is it not possible to adjust this joint?

Distinterior

Established Member
Reaction score
You can adjust a pre cut mitre on site, but not by much without causing yourself a lot of faffing about.
I don't usually cut any worktop mitres off site, as invariably the corners are not 90 degrees. I've always found it better to cut the joints to suit the room than to try and start chopping out walls and re cutting joints....