Levelling my mitre saw with worktop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanf

Established Member
Reaction score
The build of my garage workshop continues! I have installed some kitchen cupboards as a base for a mitre saw station and have some worktop on the way. I want to install my mitre saw level with the worktop to create a long flat surface. Now I’m just trying to plan out how to get the saw perfectly level without needing more limbs than an octopus! It will sit in a central lower section on some worktop and I need to get it exact before fixing. I was looking at a scissor lift but not sure if that would give me the micro-adjustment I require. Any thoughts please?

Thanks

Sean

Is it not possible to just measure the offset and make the mitre table the offset amount lower than your worktop?
I've just done exactly this and it seems to have worked out ok.
My offset was 159mm.

IMG_20230319_160926.jpg

Shims of plastic, poster board, metal shim stock, cut up beverage cans, sheet metal flashing, washers, etc. You're only limited by your imagination and surroundings. Once you get it level you can cut something the exact thicknesses and put them under.

You other option would be to put in hanger bolts and set the saw on them with nuts between the saw and the counter top. Then you can adjust each nut in turn until level before tightening the ones on top to lock it in place.

Pete

My saw is attached to a piece of 19mm plywood that is adjustable to accommodate a wide range of saws. When I built the workstation, I had a DeWalt DWS780, but thought I might have another saw later.

Instead of fixing the saw platform for the DeWalt to the sides of the adjacent cabinets, I used two lengths of angle aluminum and M8x100mm carriage bolts. Later, when I replaced the DeWalt with the Kapex, I lowered the platform accordingly.

Kapex-3.jpg

Here is a closeup of the aluminum angle and the carriage bolts for one side. When I had the Dewalt, the carriage bolt was nearly centered on the aluminum, but the Kapex is taller and fortunately I had enough room for the adjustment.

Kapex-4.jpg

My recommendation is to leave the bed of the saw slightly proud of the adjacent work surfaces. The bed of the saw is the reference point, and you don't want the angle of the cut being affected by the wood touching anywhere but the bed. Likewise, the fence of the saw is slightly proud of the work surface fence for the same reason.

Thank you all

I like your idea @MikeK as it would allow small adjustments if I find I am unhappy with the level. I am adjusting my middle cabinet so that it sits lower anyway so could use the same idea. I have two 18mm sides I can bolt the angle through, I would just maybe need to strengthen the laminate worktop for the span

Sean

@MikeK would you mind telling me what size and thickness of angle you used for your setup please? I'm on the hunt for something locally so I can look at it first, but may end up having to order online and it would be good to know what size has proved successful for your station

Worktop was ordered today and will be here Monday. I’m looking forward to getting this setup and all the extra storage it will bring

Thanks

Sean

@MikeK would you mind telling me what size and thickness of angle you used for your setup please? I'm on the hunt for something locally so I can look at it first, but may end up having to order online and it would be good to know what size has proved successful for your station

Worktop was ordered today and will be here Monday. I’m looking forward to getting this setup and all the extra storage it will bring

Thanks

Sean
@seanf, here you go. There was nothing special about the dimensions, it was angle stock on hand at one of the larger hardware stores in 5-meter sections. The store cut the lengths for me.

Kapex-6.jpg

Brilliant, thank you so much for helping and for doing it so quickly!

Sean

I very much like Mike's adjustable platform.

also worth looking at gosforth handyman's video on youtube, essentially the saw is attatched to the bench (top, not inset) and the workpiece is supported by free moving blocks. a good solution if you don't want to have a permanent set up / short of space etc

Back