Worktop mitre.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silfi

Established Member
Reaction score
I am going to instal 2 worktops in a "L" shape (into a corner).
For convenience I am considering asking the worktop supplier to cut the mitre joint. Both sides are approx 2.1m long and hence heavy to handle on my own.
My concern is how do I adjust the mitre joint if the walls are not an exact right angle?

I have never done it, but I presume that this is why they are normally cut on site.

You determine what the true angle is and then you split that angle in half. So, let's say the true angle between the two walls is 92 degrees, then you cut the mitres at 46 degrees. If the true angle was 89 degrees then you'd cut the mitres at 44.5 degrees. But a mason's mitre is a far more common solution (a butt joint but with a small mitred section inside the corner to accommodate any moulding or post formed section.

We need to know what worktop you are getting and the edge profile/material?
They offering this service or you asking if they'll do it?
Cheers Andy

Plenty of vids on youtube on the process. As a minimum you need a decent power 1/2" router and a worktop jig. If you're not likely to do it again or aren't comfortable doing it I'd see if you can find a decent local carpenter to do it.

Thanks for the replies, sorry -- I should have given more details---
The worktops are 60cm wide laminate. The supplier will cut a mason's mitre at exactly 90 degrees.
I have access to a suitable router, jig and cutter.
If the angle is wrong which part do I adjust --the male or female.
Or is it not possible to adjust this joint?

You can adjust a pre cut mitre on site, but not by much without causing yourself a lot of faffing about.
I don't usually cut any worktop mitres off site, as invariably the corners are not 90 degrees. I've always found it better to cut the joints to suit the room than to try and start chopping out walls and re cutting joints....

Latest posts

Back