worktop jigs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel24

Reaction score
hello im trying to get to grips with worktop jigs every time I use one the joint just seems to be off by about 2/3 mm.
what i think the problem is im trying to do out of square cuts and the jigs only work with totally square cuts.
can anybody tell me wether you scribe all the worktops to the wall first or do you get jig that will cut out of square because i normally lay the two females on top and use the trend ofset scriber but it never quit works out right can anybody help ????

You should be cutting the female part first then lay the male part on top and mark the line of the female joint onto the male. Then set your jig at whatever your offset is off the line. If its not 90 degrees then remove a pin so you can swing the jig to line up with your line.

Dont line it up with the pins they are useless put them in to get the position then measure from the back edge of the worktop to the jig at either end of it to line it up, that way it doesnt matter if the end is cut square or scribed just make sure the length of the female cut equates to the width of the worktop being jointed - also as the above poster has mentioned you need to offset the male cut if the wall against which the 2nd worktop will sit isnt square to the first.

Hope this makes sense it did when i wrote it haha

thanks guys worktop jig are a bit of a nightmare when you first start using them but thanks for you help its clearer now. also i was surprised that trend which is one of the biggest jig maker hasnt got any courses on them cheers guys

which worktop jigs has everyone got then and which one would be a good mid range jig because the dewalt one i got with my router is rubbish the pins are cheap and its bowed

Daniel24":zun0gv78 said:
which worktop jigs has everyone got then and which one would be a good mid range jig because the dewalt one i got with my router is rubbish the pins are cheap and its bowed

Hi Daniel

I use a Howdens jig and tbh it's no better than most of the others but I have absolutely no problem with it whatsoever and I've lost count of the number of joints I've made with it including several solid surface worktops.

It take practice and I suggest that's one of the things you do on scrap stuff. Also, if you're having problems, don't discount the possibility that your router is sloppy or more common, that you're using poor quality or blunt cutters. Don't underestimate the importance of the cutter!
The only other thing I would add is don't lift the router until it's stopped or at some stage you will very definitely slip and cut into the jig which will then be knackered unless you're a dab hand with car body filler :oops:

You'll soon get the hang of it, I measure and mark and then clamp up really solidly to my marks and view the pins as guides not accurate settings.

Bob

i have the trend kwj900 was about 120£, it replaced a howdens jig that was abit pants

cheers guys i suppose its just another carpentry art that needs to be mastered. iv only been doing worktop joints for about a year i first did them for my level 3 nvq before that i did them by hand with a jack 880 hand saw and two layers of masking tape and it took ages for each joint lol cheers for all the advice lads its practice practice practice for me then

Latest posts

Back