Workshop Windows

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesmerrix

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am planning a new workshop and will be following the guide that Mike put up a while ago.
One thing that i am unsure about is windows; as far as i can see i have a couple of options:

Second hand UPVC windows from ebay - these are very cheap, pretty effective, but don't look great and i am reliant on what comes up on ebay.

Timber windows - look great, but unfortunately are too expensive for me.

Double glazed units only - would it work to fit double glazed units directly into the framework of the shed? i am unsure of exactly how to fit them effectively.

Unfortunately until the workshop is built i won't have access to my tools otherwise i would consider making them myself.

i would be grateful for any ideas!
James

If it were me, I'd use pvc d glazed as they are not only cheap but better security and warmer too!.
trying to fit d glazed units directly within the walls would mean some form of cill arrangement to eject the water and without a frame of some sort you would have precious little to protect the glass unit from movement or damage followed by leaks etc.
HTH Regards Rodders

If you give me some sizes, I can get some uPVC windows priced up for you.

Example: 800mm x 600mm with stub cill and obscured glass, no opening vent will be around £65-£70

The above with an opening vent around £95-£100

I'd go with Rodder's advice. I fitted a large uPVC double glazed unit (cash purchase from a builder) and for a second window I made a wooden frame and fitted a double glazed unit. The wooden frame has needed annual maintenance from painting to replacing bits of rotten timber whilst the uPVC unit just needs a clean. If I were looking to break in I'd certainly go for the wooden frame (scouser by birth) as it would be far easier to get to the glazed unit. I have to admit aesthetics weren't too much of a consideration as my workshop is at the end of my garden but the uPVC doesn't look too bad.

Sounds like pvc is the way to go. i hadn't considered the problem of movement when fitting the Dg units directly - thanks for pointing it out.
james

Double glazed units must be fitted in a drained frame and raised off the bottom by 5mm so that they can't sit in moisture.

Back