Workshop Windows - casement (making). WIP Now.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dibs, I know you're in the Bradford area. I have found that A.C. Sisslings, off Manchester Road have had a reasonable range and helpful staff.

xy

Thanks Chaps - had another look at the drawing I had posted, it actually showed a "Complex S" joinery seal. Picked up a roll locally. Had a look at Espags for the windows as well. Settled on Maco 20mm backset ones as they have 4 mushrroms as opposed to 2 that most have. Aren't much more expensive.

Any recomendations\suggestions for hinges - they'll be traditional casements?

Spent Sat getting some more timber (all the casements and the other frame), getting a heater and planing up the timber for both frames. Managed to generate a large bin liner of shavings\sawdust. Hopefully find someone at work with a gerbil\hamster and they can have it for free.

Sun: Here's some softwood I had planed up already,

made_earlier.jpg

Got going with the Dom,

started_doms.jpg

It's a WIP picture - I used 4 large dominoes in each joint. The fence was used for the outer 2, and the Dom was sat on a bit of timber to get the middle 2.

Here's it assembled,

assembled_1.jpg

And here's what the outside was saying,

outside.jpg

Top tip - even if it says 30 min PU, don't use PU, complete pipper to assemble. I'm rather pleased I managed to get all 8 joints done with a total of 32 dominoes assembled, cramped, squared up (+/- 2mm) and not warped, before the bleedin glue went.

Then only took a break for a couple of hours.

Went back in yesterday evening and went "Doh, &^%^ H^^l!!!!" Forgot to run the groove for the joinery seal! So will be getting inventive with a router cutter\fein or justy getting some self adhesive stuff as well.

I'll be planting the stops on for both the casements and the frame. Watch this space for the rest of the mis-adventures!

Update: Wifey and kids were away all Xmas and New year so plenty time to get stuff done (or would have been had I not got used to sleeping in).

Got the timber planed up from 3"x2" for the casements. It took far longer getting everything sorted in my head, that it actually took to do stuff.

Here's the groove for the Espag,

espag_groove1.jpg

Slot routed out and espag temperarily fitted,

espage1_fitted.jpg

1st Doh moment. Realised that I've routered the groove all the way to the end, when the espag stopped about 100 short. Will glue a strip in and since it will be painted - won't be seen.

Groove cut for the 2nd espag (grrove to correct length this time),

espag2.jpg

Casement 1, and ready to be dominoed. I decided to fit the seal in the casements insetad of the frame. Grooves cut on the table saw.

casement1.jpg

Left approx 8mm all the way round the casement - why 8mm? 8mm seemed to be suit the espag\keeps and allowed me to laminate some timber on the other faces. Easily resawn from 18mm PSE I had lying about, and 5min PU made it quick.

test_fit1.jpg

Here's casement 2 being clamped up,

casement2.jpg

Here's the 2nd (opening) casement being "dry fitted"

casement_doms.jpg

The external stop (to cover the espag\keeps) having been glued on,

ext_stops.jpg

Here's frame 2 being dominoed,

frame2.jpg

and having been glued up,

frame2_assem.jpg

You can see frame 2 and it's 3 casements in the background.

Update - got back in the 'shop yesterday.

Cut all the 3"x2" to length (approx) to form the 3 casements,

2ndCasements.jpg

Then time to fire up the P\T - thankfully after about 5 mins off faffing about it got going. I suspect that having sat about in the house - probably explained it's reluctance to start.

LuremPT.jpg

Looks a bit old (well it is) but does good job - just need to adjust the pointer on the scale at some point as apposed to trial and error it.

Machined the slots for the espags on the 2 openers,

espags.jpg

Also made a start on the rebate\groove for the joinery seal (no piccies of that at the moment).

Update -

Tuesday - finished off the rebates\grooves, for the seals

groovesDone.jpg

Wed - Used the Domino to cut all the slots and did a dry fit,

dryFit.jpg

Thursday - started glueing the casements up. Used a 5 min PU as I was able to keep the temp above 5C, but not for the hrs that PVS type glue would need. Another dry fit, including clamping and working out the diagonal measurements - helped.

2ndsetOfCasements.jpg

Then once the glue had set - 30 mins, used a handplane to remove any excess in the verticals. So here we have all 6 casements and the 2 frames in the background,

almostThere.jpg

The 1st set have had all the stops planted on and just need planing (here and there) to fit as required. Will hopefully fit the stops on the 2nd set this evening. And then start on the door this weekend.

I'll have to cart this lot into the house - when Wifey isn't watching - and paint them. Trying to paint this lot in the 'shop - would just be a waste of time.

Probably need to get the handles and stays this weekend and dry fit them along with the hinges prior to takeing apart again and painting.

I've got some Sikkens Onol primer so will be using that and getting some Robul Satura (white) - or should we go with grey topcoat.

What the suggestions?

Edit: Just been onto Sikkens and the water borne opaque finishes can be sprayed - so having a noddy HVLP thingy at home - may well give it a go, and leave the Robul\Onol stuff for the fasicas, bargeboards etc.

Update - Sat, carried on glueing on the stops, plants onto the casements, until the 'leccy went of at 14:30. Didn't come back on till around 17:00, so I thought sod it and went out for a sheesha. Had to collect a backup battery for the house alarm as that went up the swanny.

Sat evening was spent re-programming the house alarm. :evil:

Sun - after another go at re-programming the house alarm (and getting it right) - tried to disarm the part setting to get into the garage and it wouldn't unset. At which time it was easier to do a hard reset and start again. Thankfully it turned out that I'd mixed up the user code with the eng code.

Anyways - back to wood. After sticking on tons of plants\stops - time to plane to size,

planing.jpg

Thought I'd go with the fixed casement - more opportunity for fixing it should it go wrong. :wink:

Here it is in place (almost)

fixed1.jpg

Then onto the 1st opening casement

2done.jpg

Finally all 3 done. Here's a view from the front,

front1.jpg

One opener is cracked open abit - it looks a bit off but the openers aren't hinged yet.

Here's a view from the back - some stops on the inside and very nearly there.

back1.jpg

At the moment there is very little gap between the casements and the frame - What's the recommended gap beteeen the casement and the frame? I was thinking like 1mm or so.

I was also thinking of insetting the casement into the frame - say 1-2mm, thought it would look better than flush or slightly proud??

Cheers

Dibs

Dibs
A 1mm gap is too small.

How are you going to finish this? Paint? If so,
1. Primer
2 Undercoat (x2?)
3 Gloss (x2?)

Lets say 4 coats in all. On each surface. Frame, casement. other side of casement, other side of frame. 16 coats of paint. That's a lot more than 1 mm. 1mm clearance is good, I reckon, and I'm no expert in this, having done the job just a couple of times, but I bet 3mm is nearer the mark.
Cheers
Steve

Steve Maskery":3iejxox0 said:
Dibs
A 1mm gap is too small.

How are you going to finish this? Paint? If so,
1. Primer
2 Undercoat (x2?)
3 Gloss (x2?)

Lets say 4 coats in all. On each surface. Frame, casement. other side of casement, other side of frame. 16 coats of paint. That's a lot more than 1 mm. 1mm clearance is good, I reckon, and I'm no expert in this, having done the job just a couple of times, but I bet 3mm is nearer the mark.
Cheers
Steve

Cheers Steve

I was looking at the Sikkens BL range - it consists of just a primer and an opaque topcoat. No mention in the literature of an undercoat. As it's waterbased was thinking of spraying it on. Even sprayed on 1mm might be too small a gap - just thinking cars door gaps here.

I'll have another read of the Sikkens paperwork and see how may coats of what are likely to be required.

Ah well - I suppose it's more wood shavings to do! :oops:

Dibs

I'd probably go for a 2p coin, which is about 2mm thickness. As you haven't painted it yet, don't make it so the coin is a tight fit. Chances are that, having spent a certain amount of time in your workshop (assuming it's dry... :wink:), these windows may take on moisture and swell slightly once they're installed. A 1mm gap would not be enough, in this instance.

OPJ":1begm6am said:
I'd probably go for a 2p coin, which is about 2mm thickness. As you haven't painted it yet, don't make it so the coin is a tight fit. Chances are that, having spent a certain amount of time in your workshop (assuming it's dry... :wink:), these windows may take on moisture and swell slightly once they're installed. A 1mm gap would not be enough, in this instance.

The workshop doesn't have any windows or a door. All going well, these are the windows for the workshop - so I wouldn't have thought they take on any more moisture, if anything I would have thought they'd shrink if anything?

Although it does have a roof (well Tyvek and laths) - so dry inside. :wink:

Update:

Wed - Planed the casements on Frame 2, to just fit into the openings whilst I decided the "gap".

Thursday - after some more of this,

shavings.jpg

ended up with the both openers slipping in every easily - used a 20p coin as the spacer (it was that or a choice between a £1 coin or a £2 coin :wink:)

planedToFit.jpg

Then started on the hinges - marking them 1 hinge length up from the bottom (and top, for the upper one) of the casement.

hinge1.jpg

Lord! I haven't cut hinges since secondary school - but it does come back quickly. Initially, I didn't set the knuckle in - preferring to get the leaf to the correct depth, then cutting the extra bit to set the pin in.

Using only 1 screw (one of the small ones provided) in the middle of each hinge, temporarily fitted the casement,

trial_fit.jpg

And the moment of truth - would it close or bind?

casement1.jpg

Nice and smooth - didn't catch anywhere. The reason you can see light thru the gap in or 2 places is that the inner stops haven't been fitted yet.

And here's one with the frame the right way up and both casements fitted.

well_chuffed.jpg

I chose to set the opening casements in by about 2mm as well - looks better to me than flush with the outside of the frame.

Also will have to do a rebate on the fixed casement - so that for the outer 1cm or so (on the external face) there is also a 2mm gap (matching the opening ones) and it doesn't go all the way thru to the inside. Was thinking shoulder\rebate plane. Cobblers don't have one (yet) but should be able to make do so with a router\table.

Update: Weekends activities,

Started fitting the hinges on frame 2 and it's 2 casements,

frame2Hinge1.jpg

and then fitted it's 1st casement

casement3.jpg

Hinge 7 defintely looks tidier than hinge 1 - :lol:

hinge7.jpg

Although the auto-focus has gone awol.

Here's one of the "rebate" on the external side of the fixed casement - to simulate the clearance all round - as per the opening casements.

fakeRebate.jpg

Here's the frame - with the casements in,

frame1.jpg

and as you can see - it looks like all 3 casements open, which (rightly or wrongly) was the intention. Then onto the internal stops - cutting to the full width and then moving them to allow a 2-3mm gap for the joinery seal resulted in a far bit of planing. But rather that than "Oh, dung too short!"

planingStops.jpg

Here the 2 frames are visible with the internal stops all fitted, etc. Just need to do the glazing rebates and glazing beads.

stops.jpg

Will be ordering the glass today (for collection on Thur) and ordering the Sikkens water based stuff. Bit of luck might get near completion by the weekend.

Thursday - collected the glass units.

glassUnits.jpg

Friday - didn't have much time but got all the timber cut up for the glazing upstands and most of the external beading.

Sat: Collected the Butyl glazing tape from a place in Leeds - can't get it any closer annoyingly enough and also got some rubber setting blocks.

Fitted the glazing upstands - 5 min PU is wonderful stuff!

glazingRebates.jpg

Also permanently fitted the fixed casements - glue and 2 screws in each side, so don't think we'll be having any issues with them. Also fitted the internal stops for the fixed casements - so it all looks the same from the inside.

Sun: Tidied up bits and pieces and with the outside temp < 0c - had to take the frames into the house. Thankfully there is a large bedroom that isn't in use and is sort of being renovated (well was until the workshop started) - so used that. Sat the frames on some tressles - bit of duck tape and some staples onto some scaffolding boards - stopped the frames from falling over when I opened the casements.

I left the casements on as I didn't have any space to hang them, etc. Just masked over the hinges. I used a cheapy Earlex HVP that I have had lying about for ages.

Used Sikkens Cettol BL Opage primer in white. The tin recommended adding 30% water - so did that with the 1st mix, then ended up somewhere closer to 50%. Went on well - the only annoying thing was having to wipe the build up on the tip every so often. But I suppose that was down to it being somewhat under-powered.

1L of primer just about covered the lot in one coat - so ordered another 1L of each.

Primer.jpg

Yes I know the room is more like a tip. :oops:

Checked the frames this morning and bone dry - surface is all raised, as one would expect with water based. I don't really think the Earlex El-Cheapo is going to cut it for the top coat, so am looking into a better one - erring towards an Earlex HV5000. Will be needing to get my hands on one rather soon as I want the frames full painted by the weekend - ready to fix and glaze.

Searching the forums the Earlex HV5000 seems to be somewhat recommended? What's the difference likely to be between that and the most basic Earlex one (HV3000 I think) - night & day or just a bit better? Or am I better off spending a little more on a better bit of kit? Something that one could spray 2k lacquers might be nice as I can see that need arising in 12-24 months - so wouldn't want to fork out again? Having said that - the HV5000 seems cheap enough so could afford to have one just for wood.

Realised the other day - after putting on the primer, I'd missed the capillary grooves. So scratched my head for a while and after a bit of googling rang Wealdon for a capillary groove cutter (about £26 as opposed to £60+ from others) - fantastic service. Once I'd explained the frames\casements had already been made - the chap suggested a twin fluted groover with a bottom bearing for almost 1/2 the price and to top it all off - turned up 1st thing this morning!

So will hopefully be doing the grooves this evening and then applying another coat of primer. Probably flat the existing coat down first as it's rough as a proverbial.

Flatted back a fair bit of primer - in a few places wasn't too happy so applied some 2 part filler - probably spent too much time in auto bodyshops in the past. :wink:

And then flatted it down. I've got an Earlex 3000 (from ages back), so ended up thinning the WB Sikkens primer down a lot to get it to spray reasonably well.

Sat - collected an Abranet block and loads of Abranet (Cheers Richard @ Birstall) and flatted some more, with a bit more bondo, till I was happier with the finish.

Also used the capillary groove cutter (ordered from Wealdons earlier) and cut the groove 10mm or in from the edge on both the casements and the frame. The one on the frame was a few mm deeper - due to the casements being inset into the frame. Don't ask why - I just like them that way.

capillary_groove.jpg

Sun - sprayed on another coat of primer

3rd_coat_primer.jpg

You may also notice - I stopped masking the hinges. Had a few close "incidents" and thought sod it!

Checked it this morning - felt a damn sight smoother and used less paint. On bare wood it almost 1L to do both frames and all the casements for the 1st coat. This time round - a lot less. With the HVLP - it does dry quickly.

Will be flatting it (slightly) with some finer Abranet and maybe one more coat of primer, as the 1st lot were watered down heavily.

Also just bought an Apollo 700 (off Fleebay) so may use that to see if I can spray the Sikkens WB less watered down.

Picked up the Apollo 700 last night and the chap threw in a fair bit of Morrells AC and other stuff in as well as he had no use for it now. Must be a good 15L (No use for it at the mo- but will put it to one side for now).

He plugged it in for me and switched it on - wow! Compared to the El-Cheapo Earlex (3000 or something) this thing is in a different league! Looking forward to the weekend and some more painting to see how it performs and just how much I have to thin the paint\primer down compared to before.

Steve Maskery":292kbvxl said:
Here is one I prepared earlier.
Although I do have a spindle moulder (up for sale - any takers?) the tooling I have is more suited to cabinetry than joinery. I decided to make life easy for myself by cheating. All the rebates are applied after the frames are glued up, so the joinery is straightforward M&T and comb joints, with no fannying about with long and short shoulders.

So this is the joint between muntin and transom:
11527e.jpg

For 4-16-4 units, the casements need to be deeper than on days of yore, so I made the joinery correspondingly chunky:
11527m.jpg

As I say, the rebates were applied afterwards:
11527j.jpg

This is where window frame and door jamb meet:
11527n.jpg

The external glazing bead allows ventilation and drainage all round the sealed unit:
11527x.jpg

This is what they look like from inside...
11527k.jpg

...and from outside.
ytm1an.jpg

This was just last year and now I have to say goodbye to it all :(

But compare them to the workshop window on the left and the kitchen window on the right, where the glass is fitted directly into the frame below with opening casements above.

HTH
Steve

Latest posts

Back