Workshop Storage Solutions - Pics Wanted

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to re-focus my efforts on finally getting my shop sorted, and I'm looking for storage solutions/idea's.

Would anyone mind posting pics of their solutions? I'm in particular looking into various chests of drawers, home-made box systems, shelving for timber..

How do you store your hand-held power tools? Finishing supplies?

I'm well versed in the regular wall-hanging tool cupboard, but I'm really looking for solutions that are ideal for small spaces, and preferably that I can purchase rather than spend a long time making..

What about sanding papers? I've been trying to find a small inexpensive filing cabinet to store these, but so far i've only found relatively expensive ones..

Basically, I'm interested in any solution that you have arrived at that saves you some space and helps you get organised.

This works OK for me;

2849017434_355c85be88.jpg

Cheers, Ed

BB - I put a pic up on the other thread, but look also how power tools are stored...a tall narrow unit just screwed together (made from chipboard) with holes for each tool. The advantage of this sort of thing is that the 'footprint' in the 'shop is very small (note also that the dehumidifier fits in there as well) - Rob

Colin if its a filing cabinet you're after then try a used comercial or office furniture place. I picked up a computer desk, chair and waste high, two drawer filing cabinet for £50 last year. They even delivered for an extra fiver.

I use the filing cabinet for anything air power related. I have a lockable double doored metal cabinet that I aquired from work to house all the finished, flamables and anything else that I don't want to get dusty.

The rest I'm afraid is all home made back when I thought Norm was the best and followed his examples of base units with kitchen door hinges and full extension drawer slides on all the internal shelves.

shopcabinets03.jpg

shopcabinets02.jpg

Each machine sits on a base with everything related inside.

shopcabinets.jpg

The drawers below the mitre saw have jigs, saw blades, mortice chisles and safety gear, respirator, glover ste in the top drawer. First aid, pocket hole and dowel bits and pieces, taps and dies etc in the middle. And the bottom one holds electrical stuff and tape of all description.

Workshop025-1.jpg

(For some reason the edit function seems to have dissapeared from my photobucket page, I'll rotate these when I can)

Anything drilling related beolw the drill press, auger, forsner bit sets etc.

woodnet36.jpg

Top drawer is for sand papers and the bottom for ROS, palm, belt and oscilating sanders.

Wood storage is shelve mounted racking bought from I think Ikea. Three vertical strips giving 4 lateral shelves. To support the wood better I connected the three inserts per shelf with 18mm MDF. It's all still a bit of a mess though.

Join freecycle usually lots of free cupboards etc if you do not like them recycle the timber you could be pleasantly surprised

Thanks so far the idea's/photo's chaps, keep them coming!

Here's a pic of my current setup:

2976413664_659e5ea2d2.jpg

and

2951455009_fd35de27a3.jpg

My main problem is that the shop is narrow so when I get it boarded, I'm going to have to get as much on the walls as possible to free up some floor space.

Rob - I like your narrow tower arrangement, I think that would be suitable for me if I turned it on it's side and then attached to one of the walls, that way I could get rid of my large-floor space filing cabinet that is a real pain and takes up a lot of room.

I have tried to build in storage vertically, for example, if you have a bench mounted drill press then mount it on top of a set of drawers that give the right working height and store all the associated bits and pieces below it, likewise router table and storage under, storage drawers under the bench, tool racks on walls etc.

Avoid having free standing pieces of machinery and similar that take up floor space and vertical space with little or no associated storage opportunities. Easier said than done sometimes of course ...... :lol:

Also, the obvious one, be ruthless about what you are storing, why, and the real likelyhood that it is worth keeping, avoid "just in case"........

Cheers, Paul :D

I think if your going to use floor/wall space then you might as well make it a work surface or machine surface. If a unit goes up higher than your work surface then you've lost a usable area of floor space.

chisel":3d0sh1sl said:
Also, the obvious one, be ruthless about what you are storing
Does this include timber and wood and walnut and logs as well Paul? :lol: :lol: :lol: - Rob

woodbloke":2nc16vlg said:
chisel":2nc16vlg said:
Also, the obvious one, be ruthless about what you are storing
Does this include timber and wood and walnut and logs as well Paul? :lol: :lol: :lol: - Rob

Of course not Rob [-(

Everybody knows that's an entirely different matter :lol:

......and, I'm not quite out of space yet anyway :wink:

Byron, I just meant that in a small workshop, work surfaces are at a premium. If you put a unit which is higher than a work surface, such as a filing cabinet, then it wastes a surface. So maybe if you bring another bank of floor units along the wall, you gain storage and work surface.

It's hard to advise because, as I understand, your not going to be doing much woodworking? Or is it just more hand work and less machines?

Lidl (today) are doing a steel 4 drawer filing cabinet for about 30 quid.
I use two pairs of 6 foot steel cupboards from a Tesco refurb. one is full doors , great for hanging things up, 3 are lots of compartments with doors about a foot square. Personal staff lockers rather than filing cabimets/excellent storage.

I note the earlier post re powertools in a slimline open front cabinet. Thats how I do it too, all in cases, fit about a dozen in a 5 foot rack, easy to identify and reach.
Might have a pic somewhere..

EdSutton":p3y0co9w said:
Here you go, found a close-up;

3247624665_d1a8606e10_b.jpg

Cheers, Ed

Ed, how many hours a day do you spend polishing and dusting as opposed to making sawdust / shavings? :shock:

Steve :wink:

Back