Workshop sizes?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WillRiseley":fd4suat9 said:
so non habitable can be as close as you like? Correcto?

No. Habitable is not the issue. It is a building and planning and building regs control what you can do for any building, habitable or not. You are in Kent? if so then UK regs apply.

The sticky on shed planning has all the info you need, it's worth reading the whole thread.

You were suggesting that you potentially might want something 4/5m wide by 9m long. That means that you will definitely need building regulation approval for it. Up to 30 sq. m. floor area you can get an exemption from building regs if it is a Class 6 small detached building - see the rule and definition here:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/pe...regulations/approvalneeded/exemptions/classvi

If you want to avoid complying with building regs, there may be an argument for two buildings, one for you and one for the wife each within the 30 sq. m. limit? Actually, you cannot escape building regs as Part P will apply to the electrical installation whatever the building size.

Then there is planning to deal with. The interactive miniguide here deals with it comprehensively: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/outbuildings/miniguide

If you want to build within 2m of the boundary and can keep the height below 2.5m (ground level to any part of the building) then your opportunities to avoid planning approval are greater, but if you stay below this height then unless you are a midget making doll's house furniture, you'll regret compromising the design and construction forever. If you have a pitched roof and can get (every part of) the building more than 2m from the boundary, then you get to have 2.5m eaves and 4m apex heights.

I sympathise with you because I have been juggling the same issues and took a long while to settle on a plan for my workshop. I have now obtained planning approval because I decided I couldn't live with a low ceiling and wanted to make the best use of the land so it had to be close to the boundary. Planning permission was actually very simple to get and I would urge anyone to go for it in the same circumstances. I have decided to make the floor area just under 30 sq. m. as that fits the general proportions of the land (I have access to a big workshop and hanger at the local airfield if necessary for the big stuff, so it is easier for me to settle on that limit) and I am making it from 'substantially non-combustible materials' so that I don't have to get building regs approval which does limit your choices and adds to the expense of building it with inspection costs etc.

So, a good spacious workshop is within your grasp, but you are going to have to bite the bullet and deal with the planners and building control to do it legally. I hope that this information helps. Keep the questions coming as people here will help you clarify your plans.

regards,

Colin

I think that last is really sound advice. We built our house 7 years ago and took considerable pains to accommodate my ideas for a big workshop space. If you just go it half cocked I promise you'll regret it because you will be forever bumping into things or being frustrated at having to wheel heavy machines around to get at what you need. The roof height issue is critical in my view. I also concur that planning permission isn't that difficult to get (proviso here...I always hire a local planning consultant that used to work in the local planning dept and knows what will and wont be allowed).

As the previous poster suggests, I would think it through carefully and if you need more space than a below the planning radar allows....re-think and get the necessary planning. (It will add value to your home).

I seem to remember that there is an issue with the fabric of the building if it is close to the boundary. ie If closer than 2M it has to be non combustible. Check this out.

I would just check with the local Planner and building control. Keeping to the maximum height can be a problem on a wide building if you want a pitched roof. I had this problem so I went for a flat roof clad in a good quality steel sheeting. Still gives my eight foot height inside all round.

Back