Workshop safety kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscoStu

Established Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to ask what safety kit I should have in my workshop?

I have:

Safety goggles (fit over my glasses)
Cheap disposable dust masks (steam up my glasses)
Decent gloves which I love
No ear protection - what should I do, is it an issue?

I tend to wear old t shirts and jeans and trainer type shoes.

I have dust extraction set up on all tools (some more effective than others CSMS is pretty useless)

I have a well stocked first aid kit and I know how to use it.

I have a Co2 extinguisher mounted to my workbench and a foam one near the door. So I think I'm well covered on that front.

I don't currently have an eye bath / wash and that is something I really think I should do? Any suggestions on where to get one from that isn't silly money.

anything else I should have or do?

+1 for the face shield - I find the Axminster one inexpensive and very good value, also good for routing etc.
+1 for the mobile phone and/or a reliable way to call for help at short notice

- I'd be tempted to upgrade the trainers to ones with steel toecaps and soles, or similar boots (places like Screwfix do them at sensible prices)
- I'd recommend a bottle of Optrex (comes with a plastic eyebath thingy) and a mirror (so you can see what you're dealing with)
- Good tweezers for splinter removal?
- I'd recommend an upgrade of the cheap masks to the 3M 7500 (good fit,comfy and they just work)
- Hearing protection, I just use cheap plastic 'headphone' style ear defenders when using the noisier tools.

I think you're way ahead of a lot of us amateurs already re. H&S and congratulations for that! Cheers, W2S

My phone is always with me so that's ok. Face shield makes sense. I've only just started turning and already had a flying lump of wood!

It's one thing having the stuff it's another using it routinely!

I tend to opt for certain items depending on what I'm doing. I have also considered getting some prescription safety glasses, so I would routinely wear them in the workshop.

I think ear protection is a must. Noise has a cumulative affect on hearing so you don't notice until its too late. Trust me trying to sleep with tinnitus is horrible.

3M optime 3 ear defenders are very good.
Good face masks don't steam your glasses up.
Super glue for cuts.
Kevlar gloves for carving and messing around with sharp hand tools not power tools.
+1 for a mobile phone.

Pete

I started out with cheap disposable dust mask and safety goggles along with some old ear defenders. As I learned more I realised they weren't very effective - the ear defenders were OK actually. Now that I use glasses for close up goggles are real pain. I now have a 3M 6500 half mask respirator with P3 filters, brow guard with full face visor and 3M Optime III (neck band) ear defenders . It's a better set up and one which I am happy to use. The older kit restricted my vision and didn't really protect me so often I chose not to use it, not with the new stuff, no reason not to use it. The phone is at hand for communicating with the wife indoors. I wear an apron and sometimes overalls but that's mostly to protect my clothes from dirt. I use gloves sometimes, push sticks often.

You need to assess your risk and compensate accordingly.

You asked specifically about ear protection. I believe it is an issue if using power tools. Close range high and low frequencies are damaging. I have mild tinitous and while I can't say what caused it, I can't remember if it was this bad before I started using power tools frequently, I do think the noise of power tools makes it worse though so I try to minimise it now.

The Optime III defenders are not massively expensive and do work well. I don't use them all the time, I put them on before I start the tool, take them off once done so long term comfort isn't an issue. Mine are neck band fitting, they also have a thin strap over the head to stop them slipping down, they fit well with a half mask and brow guard/visor and offer flexibility whether I use all three at once or combinations of either. Someday I may get a visor with built in ear defenders.

+3 on a face shield. Especially important when turning.
Good defenders are vital when using loud kit like planer/thicknessers, routers, angle grinders. Ear plugs are horrible and can cause ear infections* so buy a decent set of comfortable defenders, anything made by Peltor is the best choice.
If you need glasses only for close up work, check out the 3M half readers http://www.axminster.co.uk/3m-bx-reader ... spectacles they're an excellent solution that fit well with a high level of protection.
I generally avoid gloves completely. Stories of them catching and dragging hands into machines with far worse outcomes scares me enough not to use them in the workshop.
However, I do have a box of disposable latex gloves to protect my skin from finishes and allergenic dust. If they got caught in moving parts they'd just tear and not pull me into anything.

*to avoid infection you need to put them in completely clean ears with completely clean fingers, then dispose of them after use. OK in some situations, but in home workshops when you might only need ear protection intermittently a pair of easily removable defenders is a far better solution.

I wear glasses but have found the Trend Airace half mask to be very comfortable and high level filtration to 0.3 microns and does not mist up my glasses.

Alex

That's quite an expensive option. I know there is no price on health but I'm a weekend occasional workshop warrior. The trend airace always looks very big and clumbersum.

I think ear defenders are something I need to buy.

Anyone got any good links for eye wash - for emergency use? I have optrex but I was thinking more of emergency eye wash bottles to keep in the workshop.

How about a couple of Benny Hill style Nurses like he used to chase around at the end of his show 9-)
Regarding footwear I usually have a pair of Croc's on and as they are foam rubber anything that lands on them bounces off without touching my toes! not recommended for people using heavyweight items but fine for lightweight crafting etc. Optrex is excellent for eye drops but if you buy some check the sell by date as my optician said it goes off if left for too long (and no he doesn't sell it)
Not too sure about gloves in the workshop? latex ones for when your staining/glueing up etc but fabric ones can get caught on machinery.
Cheers
Brian

Optrex does indeed have quite a short date on it.

Not sure about the croc and rubber bounce theory! :)

My gloves tend to get worn when I am moving lumps of wood about rather than doing any cutting etc. I use push sticks for anything that is likely to remove my fingers.

So I'm sensing some ear defenders and some eye wash would be sensible add ons and maybe a change of dust mask.

TCP or Dettol for if you get a nasty splinter or slice, use it before supergluing the edges shut - pm me if you want the perfect technique to avoid the glue stinging ;) - and you'll avoid the cut going septic, with certain woods, it's virtually a given to get an infection.

Major +1 to both ear defenders and a face shield, friend of mine would have lost an eye recently without, got a couple brow stitches instead.

Personally I didn't get on with the Trend air pro, found it heavy enough to hurt my neck after a couple hours. I bought a JSP power cap, it's lots lighter and possibly even more effective, with a high impact rated face shield, tho it's no less expensive. Having lung trouble before even starting woodwork though, I reckoned it was worth the expense.

Recently turned a very toxic wood without knowing it was dangerous - was very glad of the thing when I found out!

Thinking about it, if you look on trade or lab supply sites, you'll find an emergency eye bath that's not too expensive, and doesn't have the shelf life issue. We had them in the chemistry lab all the time.

I'd find you a link, but I'm on my mobile, it's tough to do.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Aye, that's the idea, they're also zero fiddle factor, so you can manage while half blinded, to sort your eyes out asap without fuss.

If it's a chemical that's hit you, seconds make all the difference, even if it's sanding sealer or whatever.

I'm guessing the same would hold in the fight vs hardwood debris and corneal scratches? :?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Back