Workshop redesign

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt_S

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to start on a bit of a redesign of my workshop.... or end of the garage!

Got a firm idea of what I want to do, and as I've never posted any pics will aim to do so as I go along on this project!

A question to start - going to build saw horses for with my circular saw and cabinets on the wall first of all. What should I use, I feel a bit bewildered!

Chipboard
Cheap ply
MDF
???

I guess ply for the saw horses as it has a bit of structural integrity if that's the right term.

But would 12mm chipboard with a brace at the back be the cheapest way for cabinets?

Cost is of a concern... advice appreciated.

If you are doing workhorses - don't do the traditional ones. In the most recent copy of Fine Woodworking there was an article on stackable ones. Never thought about it before and once I'd pondered over it - thought it was a brilliant idea.

When not in use they stack up and can easily be put out of the way in a shop.

Thanks, I'm not doing standard ones.

I'm doing knockdown ones with a grid on top to hold a sheet of ply. Time will see if it works!

Matt,

Use the best you can afford. If you want workshop cupboards in American Black Walnut, and you can afford it. Great, do it.

Seriously, for sawhorses, good quality softwood. No plywood, except maybe as a brace-plate across the legs (Depends on your design).

I have a set of plans that look good. And function perfectly.

Shelving:

Solid softwood is OK if you can find some dry stuff.
So next best is 25mm exterior grade ply. You might get away with 18mm thickness with this.

MDF is as good as anything, but it needs to be 25mm thickness.
For most materials, the span between supports should be no more than 30" (750mm) or you will get sag. ( I like to reduce this to 27inches. )

If you'd like the plans for the sawhorses, pm me with a contact email and I will send them on.

HTH get you started.

Ooops! You're doing cupboards as well..

18mm exterior grade ply then, if cost is a concern. That's around £20.00 a sheet where I live. I get it sawn into the sizes I want by the sawmill, where I buy, but not every mill does this. Build the cabinets on two softwood frames top and bottom. Add the back first to square it all. Then fit drawers/shelves , and doors, finishing with the tops.

Hope you can read my mind!
John :D

I've got three 8 X 4 sheets of veneered block board that are surplus to requirements. If you come round with sizes we can cut them up for you too.
Si

No I'm in at all sorts of times lots of evenings and some saturdays. I'm not around this saturday as I'm racing.

A little update. Firstly here is a pic of the garage at the moment. It's a mess of which I am not proud! Rear right is my bench under a pile of stuff.
In the middle is my current cutting set up, two workmates with a fence post on top and my ez system.
Wood to right will be the saw horses, cabinets and maybe base for recently purchased pillar drill.

491b1d77.jpg

this pic is one saw horse finished. I have since finished the second and now working on frame to go on top to support various size panels. Will load pic when finished.

4ecf2c24.jpg

well that's a darn site tidier than my workshop (ex garage).
I actually spent 2 hours in there today tidying up. I can now see the worktops and 'some' of the floor - won't stay like that for long though :)

Back