Workshop Quick Camera Mount System

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuffimade

Established Member
Reaction score
A regular tripod can be quite impractical in a workshop, It is also difficult to get pictures straight down without getting the tripod's legs in the shot. There are a lot of angles where you just can't set up a tripod or get close the action. Another main consideration is the speed and efficiency in quickly setting up /moving your camera from one location to another. So to solve these problems and maximise the time actually making stuff I have created a magnetic camera mount system with locations all around the workshop.

In this project, I show you the components and set up of the camera mount system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WstgMWnlCWs

Once the longer aluminium rods arrive, i am going to remove the Joby attachment and test the weight it can take at various extensions, testing where the weak points are, magnets, base structure, or aluminium strength. Joby only takes a few pounds so a different attachment using rods. Will post back in here.

For now / for me using a goPro this is handy :)

Markvk":3w22nt2f said:
Cool idea, dont think it will hold my nikon d800 and 24/70f 2.8 though ;)

Pretty good.

I'd attach a short length of cord between the camera and something like a bit of curtain track alongside (so it can slide), or at least to your nice wooden base-mount. That way, if anything gets bonked or comes loose it can't get too far obeying gravity.

It's a standard rule in TV studios (and theatres too, I think): a safety "chain" (usually a bit of thin galv. wire rope with swaged eyelets and a screw-gate carabiner or carbine hook) - no matter how strong the hook, the chain goes round the luminaire and the lighting barrel, so if anything comes undone it can't fall off. Obviously unnecessary in this case, but the doubled-up idea may save your camera one day.

See: http://www.canford.co.uk/SAFETY-BONDS. Total overkill for you, but you see what I mean.

E.

(curtain cord is good as it's braided and strong and seals with heat)

Markvk":17p6bd31 said:

+1 it would need much stronger magnets before I would trust it with my D800, and two safety chains!.

But for the Go pro its its a cracking idea.

Pete

Markvk are on Flickr?

Racers":260n865k said:
Markvk":260n865k said:

+1 it would need much stronger magnets before I would trust it with my D800, and two safety chains!.

Pete

Markvk are on Flickr?

Seems to me you are just bragging about your big one.

lurker":gz1em9o4 said:
Racers":gz1em9o4 said:
Markvk":gz1em9o4 said:

Pete

Markvk are on Flickr?

Seems to me you are just bragging about your big one.

If I was I would have put this picture up.

Nikons by Racers, on Flickr

:wink: :D

Pete

Racers":1wzgzmgq said:
Markvk":1wzgzmgq said:

Pete

Markvk are on Flickr?

I do have a flikr account under markvk but dont use it. I have my own website but dont use that much either!!!

Ill get back into it eventually! !

Back