Workshop Overhaul

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking about using that airtec foil stuff in the ceiling, then I'd probably only loose 25mm ish

As with a HW cylinder,cold water is heavier than hot water, thus as you use hot water cold water enters the cylinder and "pushes" the lighter hot water out, it's the same with convector radiators (those with fins), they should be positioned as low as possible, the cold air at floor level hits the rad and becomes warm and lighter and rises quickly, it's a continuing process, kickspace heaters are okay but if you go the central heating route you will be using 2 powers to gain one end.
HTH.

Rich.

Yes, a high efficiency type with fins at the back of it, see STELRAD.

Rich.

A 600x600 either side of your garage door would suffice, with thermostatic valves on for fuel efficiency, also claddiing the inside of your garage door would greatly improve heat retention and also give your neighbours a quieter weekend. :D

Thanks. running pipes the length of the shop isn't really an option. I'm going to place a rad next to the bench and make-do.

The door is a roller to no way to insulate it, but it needs sealing at the sides which is another job on the list.

dennis":3a1rutuc said:
TheTiddles":3a1rutuc said:
frugal":3a1rutuc said:
I know that this is going to be a daft question, but: Where does the wood live? Does it all live outside of the workshop?

Wood lives in big plants called trees :lol:

And these big plants often live in woods.

pipper, does that mean all of the wood I have bought with "Made in China" stamped on it is not the real thing ;)

Steve Maskery":3p7wklwv said:
As for putting in a sub-ceiling - good idea for insulation and heat considerations, bad idea for logistics. My workshop is quite high - very high in places - and although that was not planned, it is a real boon when it comes to manipulating lengths of timber and boards. I still hit the lights now and again, but I can, if I'm careful, turn an 8x4 sheet over inside the workshop.

I'd like to do this in my workshop as well, primarily for workshop and 'junk' storage. The same problem occurred to me, so what I've decided is that I will only add joists to half the length of the 'shop, meaning I'll still have room near the door to manouvre longer stuff and assemble taller things. :)

Minor progress today.

I wedged and grip filled some 2x4's on to the side of the RSJ.

DSC_0769.JPG

It looks a bit scrappy, the unclamped timber was already there, used for fixing various things to it in the past. I haven't yet decided how to attack the underside. Probably just gripfill the PB straight to it, as it will never take any load. Not much of a fun job this, but needed -I guess.

Anyone think of something creative to do with a half sheet of Corotherm? (Seen leaning up against my car). I saved it from my last workshop build and can't bare to chuck it. Thought it might come in handy but not sure it ever will?

The stuff arrived today for sealing the leak. Not looking forward to that job either. Yuck :roll:

Back