Workshop lighting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyW

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I wonder if I could get some advice. I've been hard at work extending and renovating my workshop over the past few months (hence my absence from the forum). Extension out the back and insulation and cedral cladding on my existing block workshop.

Tiz looking pretty good.

I'm now on the internal linings phase, which will include insulating and lining the ceiling of the existing garage, then start getting everything back in (most of my tools etc, is currently in a spare room in the house - wife not happy!).

I will be running in wiring for lights and sockets in the next week or two, so my question is what lighting do you all use?

I was interested in the 70w LED strip lights - corrosion, moisture and dust resistant. Sounds good for my unheated workshop.

But at £65 to £75 per 5 foot light, they're very pricey.

However, if they are the dogs nuts, then a good investment?.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jonny

Don't think you get many more lumens per watt from leds than you would a good triphosphor strip light ie around 100 lumens per watt.

Hi I use cheapo 5ft strip light fittings and just add 6500k colour temp tubes that are also cheap. They give of a daylight type light thats better on the eyes than the standard yellowey tubes

Just helped the brother in law to fit 4 5' double Leds to his garage - I now come to my workshop (6 old tubes) and it feels dull dim and dark or my eyes are getting old - go for the Leds as far as i know two types of output white and natural - I'm waiting for Christmas then going to swap to Led tubes, better light no warming up and flickering all come on at once plus cheaper to run.

Beau":3qdlskuh said:
Don't think you get many more lumens per watt from leds than you would a good triphosphor strip light ie around 100 lumens per watt.
True, but the quality of the light is far better from the LEDs.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

JonnyW":13tpd1z1 said:
Hello all.

I wonder if I could get some advice. I've been hard at work extending and renovating my workshop over the past few months (hence my absence from the forum). Extension out the back and insulation and cedral cladding on my existing block workshop.

Tiz looking pretty good.

I'm now on the internal linings phase, which will include insulating and lining the ceiling of the existing garage, then start getting everything back in (most of my tools etc, is currently in a spare room in the house - wife not happy!).

I will be running in wiring for lights and sockets in the next week or two, so my question is what lighting do you all use?

I was interested in the 70w LED strip lights - corrosion, moisture and dust resistant. Sounds good for my unheated workshop.

But at £65 to £75 per 5 foot light, they're very pricey.

However, if they are the dogs nuts, then a good investment?.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jonny
Not sure how big your garage is, but I have a single garage work shop and at the front I have two 120W equivalent CCFL daytime bulbs, and at the middle and back (in the main work area) I have 2x 36W splash proof LED strips from LEDHut giving over 5000 lumens.

Quality and brightness is excellent and the strips are only £20 each. You need a power supply as well.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Just remember it's not just about the lighting itself. Painting ceilings and walls white can make a huge difference to light levels in a workshop.

Have got led tubes and white walls, a good all round light and unlike ordinary tubes these can take a knock or two without shattering

Thank you all for you replies.

I've installed the standard natural light tubes, as my money is getting tight.

But will definitely be swapping them for LEDsin the future.

Thanks again

Jonny

Latest posts

Back