Workshop insurance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apn

Reaction score
Hi, I'm buying a former commercial premises for use as a private workshop. Does anybody have any recommendations for insurance, both buildings and contents. So far nobody is interested. I've tried NFU, direct line and Swinton are still thinking about it!

Thanks for your help.

Surprised at NFU, usually they're super helpful. Is the issue that it will not be a business?

Thanks for the replies so far. The fact it isn't a business seems to rule out business insurance and the fact it isn't next to my house rules out domestic insurance. I'll give a broker a go.

apn":36nj6e0m said:
Thanks for the replies so far. The fact it isn't a business seems to rule out business insurance and the fact it isn't next to my house rules out domestic insurance. I'll give a broker a go.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but in that case why not simply run it as a business? There's no law that says you have to make any money, since it seems that's not your intention anyway, and you may be able to write off at least some of the expenditure against tax paid on other income. Downsides may include business rates and usage issues - as you said it's "former" commercial premises...

There was a small family run broker mentioned here sometime ago. They were very help full and a good price form me. Sorry I can't remember their name at the moment. Try a search.

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave them a try and they couldn't cover either. It seems their insurance is more product liability based rather than buildings insurance. Its possible I could use their contents insurance and get buildings insurance elsewhere but even that is proving tricky. Any other suggestions?

Latest posts

Back