Workshop heater

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not keeping still! :mrgreen:

Seriously - mines that well insulated, haven't got any in it. But having said that - wood burning stove is on the list.

HIH

Dibs

I thought about it but decided I would prefer something I can trust. Dont want the workshop going up in smoke. :)

My new workshop is at the finishing/snagging stage right now ready for moving in on December 28th. There's a 5KW woodburner in the "benchroom" and a 2KW oil filled electric rad in the "machine room".

Couple of oil filled rads on low background heat setting and topped up with bursts from a fan heater if needed when I am in there.....

Cheers, Paul

the gas bottle ones look a bit iffy will look and see if i can find a good used one proper stove/burner don't want my little workshop burning down

I use my wood burner through the depths of the winter months when outside temp down below 8 degrees, but at this time of year, get away with a couple of Lidl fan blown electric 2kW convector heaters. Either way good insulation around the whole workshop ensures that it is warm and toasty within 1/4hr of getting in in the morning.

I thought about electric fan heaters but was concerned about them sucking in dust laden air and setting alight!

Went for two oil-filled rads in the end for safety. I was going to get a radiant gas panel that sits on top of a 47kg propane bottle, but looked at the running costs and leccy is cheaper!

I really need to board the ceiling as all the heat goes out through the (uninsulated) roof!

I am double glazed and well insulated in stud work walls and roof. Size about 25' x 15 with 8'6" ceilings. I use a 3kw electric convector heater which suits me fine for evenings and weekends. If in use full time I would install a wood burner.

Colin

I use a wee 30kw beauty (diesel space heater) for about 5mins to take the chill off my poorly insulated triple garage shop, then a 3kw Clarke industrial fan heater to keep it warm. Because I use my shop only for a few hours every other day this is cheaper than constantly trying to heat it.

I've got 120watt tube heaters situated around the WS, they take the temp up about 5 degrees from the background temp.
My WS is well insulated so its not to bad in the winter months.
I would really like a wood burner but I'm not sure the neighbours would agree.
I think the key is the insulation, mines on the walls, ceiling and floor.

Interesting article in the telegraph today on the risk to life with poorly maintained and installed wood burners. Products of combustion particularly in a poorly ventilated room can result in headaches, coma and death. There is a tendency not surprisingly for folk to shut all windows doors which increases the risk. A carbon monoxide detector is highly recommended.

newt":19qzz731 said:
Interesting article in the telegraph today on the risk to life with poorly maintained and installed wood burners. Products of combustion particularly in a poorly ventilated room can result in headaches, coma and death. There is a tendency not surprisingly for folk to shut all windows doors which increases the risk. A carbon monoxide detector is highly recommended.

The Telegrope will no doubt have made a big story out of this, though just for once, there really is a potential problem, but one which is pretty easily avoided. Building regs (don't we all love them?) insist that woodburning stoves and the like have an unrestricted draught supply from the outside air, which should cover some of the problems. But still worth having both smoke and Carbon Monoxide detectors, and looking after them (new batteries on a regular basis, and replace the CO detector after about 5 years).

I've a small 2.5kW fan heater that I keep dusting out - it works a treat & I've a 4m high ceiling.

..if I were to get a wood burner I'd get a CO alarm at the same time

I highly recommend you buy some for xmas stocking fillers for friends n family (that you like).

CO is scarey - tasteless, odourless & invisible. In the worst case scenario it only takes a few minutes to drop down dead of CO poisoning.. but up til thent you can become so disorientated you cannot understand what's happening & so do not think to leave the room .........blood takes up CO more readily than oxygen..& smokers have less of that in their blood to start with so they croak 1st. If you have soot you have CO.

LPG is also another scare story.

Just bought a Honeywell 2.5 KW.
Ample for my 18 foot x 9 foot six garage. But it has to be Brass-monkeys before I use it. :mrgreen: Just keeping on the move! :D

Latest posts

Back