Workshop floors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmybigfoot

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had done a DIY epoxy or polyurethane resin screed on top of concrete? I have a 32m2 workshop which has a level concrete floor but no cement screed. It has no bumps. Has anyone had experience with sealing the concrete and getting the resin products? I aren't prepared to pay 600£ for it.
Jim

Jim,

These folks were helpful when when I built my workshop & I wanted to paint my new concrete floor.
http://www.dacrylate.co.uk/

I ended up using a 2 part paint that was commercially rated, it has seen a lot of hammer but still looks good 10 years on.

Regards.

dj

This is not what you asked but you may wish to consider it.

When I renovated my old barn to use as a workshop I laid concrete floor, then put 3 x 2 treated bearers down, put insulation between them and 22mm MR chipboard flooring on top. I then painted with floor paint (from Toolstation IIRC). It is much kinder on your feet when standing on it all day and also when you drop a tool it is less likely to get damaged. See couple of photos below.

Floor insulated and chipboard started.JPG

Floor partly painted.JPG

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Floor insulated and chipboard started.JPG
    Floor insulated and chipboard started.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,246
  • Floor partly painted.JPG
    Floor partly painted.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,246
I did specify resin floors in commercial vehicle workshops many yeasr ago and looked at it for hotel kitchens. The heavy lorry workshops floors were very good and well liked by all who used it. It coped well wiith the heavy oils and grease well...on the floor and in the inspection pits. Resin is used in places like abatours where blood is highly distructive. It was a non starter for hotels due to the need to extract the heavy fumes. It sets quickly though. It would need to be acid etched or the laitance removed. I would have thought resin was a bit overkill and that as suggested a timber floor would be cheaper and easier on the feet, etc. I would used a dense insulationn board or sheet beneath ply or chipbaord and omit the battens and set it up as a floating floor. Wedge at one side and work across ...any edge gap could be finished with a plate or bead. Paint with roller and hae presto. Dont forget the thresholds or mat well that may occur and the dropping of sharp tools. Best wishes.

Charlie Woody":3e4zqal8 said:
This is not what you asked but you may wish to consider it.

When I renovated my old barn to use as a workshop I laid concrete floor, then put 3 x 2 treated bearers down, put insulation between them and 22mm MR chipboard flooring on top. I then painted with floor paint (from Toolstation IIRC). It is much kinder on your feet when standing on it all day and also when you drop a tool it is less likely to get damaged. See couple of photos below.
[Hope this helps.

Exactly what I intend to do in my new workshop, for exactly the same reasons, warmer, no tool damage when dropped and easier on the feet. I hate bare concrete floors, painted or not.

Back