Workshop doors.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I have the timber for the doors, (47mm X 95mm), the same dimensions as the WS framing.

My problem is, the timber has warped and bowed. Obviously I need trued up timber to build the doors. Would it be right to plane the timber true, (making the dimensions smaller). If so, how much would you think would be the max to take off.

I suppose how much it's bowed and warped is going to be a factor. I'm not sure if I wouldn't just use the excuse to buy more wood - but then I just keep doing that.

I'm guessing the doors are going to be at least 2m high... How long is your planer? If it's only around 1m then, you're not realistically going to be able to straighten the timber yourself (simply feeding it through a thicknesser won't do either).

In an ideal situation, you would buy the sawn timber, cut it roughly oversize and then leave it to sit in your workshop for about a week - so that any movement and shrinkage takes place before you start planing (hopefully!). :)

Thank you both for replying.

I should have known better. The two doors will be 2'6" wide, totaling 5', and 6'6" high.

My longest planer is a clifton No 7. I'm sure I can flatten wood with that. I may take a bit longer than using a planer though. :lol:

Latest posts

Back