Workshop day all day today on Discovery RT Extra.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smudger":14pnh95x said:
chippy1970":14pnh95x said:
Smudger":14pnh95x said:
chippy1970":14pnh95x said:
CNC Paul":14pnh95x said:

You know what they say "those who can DO and those who cant TEACH"

I've always been unimpressed when people trot out that old cliché.

Ever tried it?
<snip>....Yet someone took the trouble to teach you to read (if not punctuate), at least.
Hahaha, I think that wins round one!

Well done Smudger.

FWIW chippy, I understand where you are coming from to a degree. I had a couple of shocking lecturers on my computer studies course 16 years ago, and one of them I definitely knew more thanin the subject she was teaching me (and I am no genius BTW), but at the same time I had another 8 lecturers who ranged from good to brilliant. Your sentiments were probably sound but the way you put them across was bound to get that kind of reaction from the current and ex teachers who live here, and rightly so.

Cheers

Mark

Lord Nibbo":3tvwdp9l said:
My Nominations
for UKWorkshop TV Presenter are

Not in any particular order

Allan Herd,

David Free,

Steve Maskery,

David Charlesworth,

Philly.

Or perhaps a combination of any two for each programme i.e. Philly making planes, David C showing how to get the best out of it.

\:D/
I like it! Now we just need a production team and we can pitch it! :D

Any volunteers? I will be the runner...

Cheers

Mark

Honestly, if the TV channels aren't picking it up now then I doubt you'll convince them, especially coming from an unskilled, unknown production company.

If you'd like to put together a site of independent video shows, similar to The Wood Whisperer but more like The Woodworking Channel or (my fave atm) WoodTreks, then we can talk. It would rely on at least 4 or 5 woodworkers being up for, and able to, film an episode on some sort of regular basis.

This won't make anyone rich tho.

Sky is the one thing SWIMBO won't tolerate. She reckons there's enough rubbish on the channels we get for free!

Is it true that Sky just repeats everything that's been on the Beeb and ITV?

Films I hire from the local shop and I am not much for sport. So maybe it's no advantage having Sky.
:D

Smudger":46oj6qum said:
chippy1970":46oj6qum said:
Smudger":46oj6qum said:
chippy1970":46oj6qum said:
CNC Paul":46oj6qum said:

You know what they say "those who can DO and those who cant TEACH"

I've always been unimpressed when people trot out that old cliché.

Ever tried it?

No I have not tried it and I dont want to thanks.

Sorry Smudger did I touch a nerve ? :roll:

Its not my saying and if you read on I did say not all my lecturers were bad but all in all I learnt more on site from working.

All lecturers should be made to go out in the real world every now and then to catch up on the latest methods and materials.

What you did was insult me and everyone in my (ex) profession. I love the 'did I touch a nerve' comment as well. With rolling eyes. How nice. Implies, of course, that I am an incompetent, too.

I realise that it's not 'your saying' - I do have at least a basic education. But then what else do I know? You don't have the faintest idea. How would you feel if I was to simply assume that everyone in your chosen profession was unskilled, incompetent, a failure? I suspect you'd be pretty peed off with such a broad and unthinking stereotype.

Has it occurred to you that perhaps those lecturers for whom you had such contempt actually had good knowledge - perhaps not the building site nous you value so much - but were in fact the repository of skills and knowledge which are necessary for trades to continue through time?

Have you also considered that perhaps they knew more than you did, and you didn't understand what they were trying to teach you? Perhaps it was an attitude problem, I don't know, I wasn't there. I can't judge other people at a distance, can I? But, of course, you can.

You've never tried it, and don't want to. I see. Yet someone took the trouble to teach you to read (if not punctuate), at least. Perhaps you should find that person and try your little saying (actually George Bernard Shaw's) to her face.

And those who can do neither (teach or do) criticise!
Just generalisations... But I know the feeling...

Iggie it Smudger.

John

Back