Workshop day all day today on Discovery RT Extra.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jyates":947vms2q said:
You've also gotta love the amount of glue being sloshed around in the Smith and Sweetman workshop. I bet they come to clear up at the end of the day only to find all the tools are glued to the bench.. :D

A few years ago I was working on a house where the floor fitter was glueing down hardwood flooring his tools were covered in glue, next day when he turned up for work I pi**ed myself laughing all his tools were stuck to the screed. When he went to pull his knocking block off the floor the handle just snapped off in his hand :lol:

I don't normally laugh at peoples misfortune but he was a right to**er so thats ok :)

Thanks for the heads up on workshop day :D I too missed most of the S&S shows but caught the teak table which i really liked , then managed to do some chores while Walsh was on ,then back to C E WW Quick break for a ballet lesson :oops: then evening with EB or was it Metabo Ad Really enjoyed interview with the Charleswoth chap, is that how a plane should work then?
Had almost given up on sky as it all seems to be fishing.

I haven't seen the Smith and Sweetnam show before and i have to say wow. If one where to use that show as a how not to construct furniture show it would be ok but honestly :shock:

A nice workshop, nice tools and machinery and 2 blokes with absolutely no idea how to use it, scant disregard for timber technology and practical use. £1200 worth of beautiful Teak turned into a garden table that which within 1 season outside would be falling apart.

I can appreciate rustic furniture nailed together, i can appreciate the finest handcut dovetails. But what is a complete travesty is poor craftsmanship, poor design and terrible execution dressed up as fine woodwork.

The other part that sickens me is that there are so many gifted wood workers whom with the same equipment could make the same product but constructed correctly, designed to allow for movement and external use. Show the safe use of tools and machinery and the making of a product to be proud of.

I personally would love to see a new woodworking show with a quality teacher/presenter who would inspire amateurs and pro's alike.

Rant over :oops:

Matty,

You hit the nail on the head....They turned £1200 worth of Teak into a table worth £20.

It is sad to know that one of them is a college lecturer. :cry:

Paul

CNC Paul":166unfwk said:
Matty,

You hit the nail on the head....They turned £1200 worth of Teak into a table worth £20.

It is sad to know that one of them is a college lecturer. :cry:

Paul

You know what they say "those who can DO and those who cant TEACH"

I did my City & Guilds at Hammersmith and West London college about 20 years ago and I wasn't impressed back then with the lecturers we had. Sometimes you thought you knew more than them :lol: . I must say not all of them were bad.

That teak table had some massive gaps and I am sure I remember some biscuit joints going into it which with the inlay that would just collect water to dirt I thought it was pretty lack lustre.

There were some good ideas later on with the cutting edge workshop and I quite liked some of his ideas.

What I liked about Cutting Edge Woodworking was that he was doing modern advanced stuff and not apologising for it. Interestingly the workshop that was filmed in also starred in a series with Allen Herd and the helper Ivan (?) Turned up on Allen Herd's series Narrow Boat. (yes I watch too much telly)

Smudger":2l3rrfmh said:
chippy1970":2l3rrfmh said:
CNC Paul":2l3rrfmh said:

I've always been unimpressed when people trot out that old cliché.

Ever tried it?

No I have not tried it and I dont want to thanks.

Sorry Smudger did I touch a nerve ? :roll:

Its not my saying and if you read on I did say not all my lecturers were bad but all in all I learnt more on site from working.

All lecturers should be made to go out in the real world every now and then to catch up on the latest methods and materials.

wizer":2ylr221h said:
What I liked about Cutting Edge Woodworking was that he was doing modern advanced stuff and not apologising for it. Interestingly the workshop that was filmed in also starred in a series with Allen Herd and the helper Ivan (?) Turned up on Allen Herd's series Narrow Boat. (yes I watch too much telly)

Wizer,

I think the workshop is at the house of Keith Duddy (producer) when they made Barn Free.

Paul

Cheers Paul, obviously Keith is the guy putting all these shows together.

Don't forget though, programmes like s & s the directors/producers
call the shot's.They maybe pushing for time.
How long Smith?
"we need 36 hours to make that item"
"you've got 24" :)

That's TV for you. I just wish they'd listen to their audience, it wouldn't take much to tweak a series like S and S into what could have been a really good show.

What I think would be a good idea for a woodworking show is an expert teaching a novice. But the novice needs to be chosen not for their stupid puns and gags in front of the camera but for their ability to ask the expert the right sorts of questions which makes viewing easier and teaches better. Do people honestly tune in to Tommy Walsh for the comedy?

Why don't we all contact Keith Duddy via email at his company, and campaign for him to look at the potential for a UK Norm :lol:

Seriously though............it could be worth asking, I think Alan Herd would make a good start, all his other stuff has been good, and perhaps someone a little younger as a sidekick, who's a powertool lover, I think it would be a good combination? and with perhaps the backing of this site, the word would travel fast?

What d'ya think?

Cheers

Jed

There's plenty of producers who'd do it. But it's the TV companies that are not buying it. Preferring reality TV or Fishing!

The obvious way to do this is look at The Wood Whisperer's business model. He's earning a living making an internet TV show. His costs are very low and the internet love him.

I'd do it, but I'm not skilled and I'm not sure how I'd be in front of a camera. The Web Dev and Video Edit would be a cinch.

chippy1970":2djqbmb3 said:
Smudger":2djqbmb3 said:
chippy1970":2djqbmb3 said:
CNC Paul":2djqbmb3 said:

I've always been unimpressed when people trot out that old cliché.

Ever tried it?

No I have not tried it and I dont want to thanks.

Sorry Smudger did I touch a nerve ? :roll:

Its not my saying and if you read on I did say not all my lecturers were bad but all in all I learnt more on site from working.

All lecturers should be made to go out in the real world every now and then to catch up on the latest methods and materials.

What you did was insult me and everyone in my (ex) profession. I love the 'did I touch a nerve' comment as well. With rolling eyes. How nice. Implies, of course, that I am an incompetent, too.

I realise that it's not 'your saying' - I do have at least a basic education. But then what else do I know? You don't have the faintest idea. How would you feel if I was to simply assume that everyone in your chosen profession was unskilled, incompetent, a failure? I suspect you'd be pretty peed off with such a broad and unthinking stereotype.

Has it occurred to you that perhaps those lecturers for whom you had such contempt actually had good knowledge - perhaps not the building site nous you value so much - but were in fact the repository of skills and knowledge which are necessary for trades to continue through time?

Have you also considered that perhaps they knew more than you did, and you didn't understand what they were trying to teach you? Perhaps it was an attitude problem, I don't know, I wasn't there. I can't judge other people at a distance, can I? But, of course, you can.

You've never tried it, and don't want to. I see. Yet someone took the trouble to teach you to read (if not punctuate), at least. Perhaps you should find that person and try your little saying (actually George Bernard Shaw's) to her face.

jedmc571":330ie7st said:
Why don't we all contact Keith Duddy via email at his company, and campaign for him to look at the potential for a UK Norm :lol:

There already has been a series 'The Great British Woodshop' with David Free ( http://www.greatbritishwoodshop.co.uk/D ... fault.aspx ). However, there has only been one series. It is occasionally shown on Real Time. If I remember rightly one of the production team used to work on the New Yankee Workshop.

The other thing about a lot of the UK woodworking programs is that they focus on the person rather than on what they are doing - I like to see what someone is talking about rather than watching them talking.

Misterfish

My Nominations
for UKWorkshop TV Presenter are

Not in any particular order

Allan Herd,

David Free,

Steve Maskery,

David Charlesworth,

Philly.

Or perhaps a combination of any two for each programme i.e. Philly making planes, David C showing how to get the best out of it.

\:D/

Back