Workshop ceiling height advice, please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi. Sorry to come along with a long, rambling question so early in my forum membership.

I’m interested to know forum members' views on workshop ceiling height. I’m going to convert my garage/outbuilding into a workshop and I’m hoping not to make a poor decision right at the outset. The first thing I want to do is insulate the roof.

The building has great potential – it is approx 9.5m long by 5m wide with a pitched roof. The maximum height down the centre (to the underside of the ridge) is 3.75m reducing to 2.5m at the wall plates. To get better insulation and reduce the volume to heat, I am thinking of putting in a false ceiling with plenty of insulation above. There are a couple of very heavy beams across the building which would conveniently support ceiling joists and that would give a finished height of 8ft (sorry to mix up units). That is the most convenient height from the construction point of view and gives maximum insulation potential, but I feel I might regret this every time I stand an 8ft sheet on end! It’s not a big deal to put the ceiling at any height, but I would like it as low as is workable for heating/insulation reasons. There is also a good chance that I’ll end up with a wooden floor to further improve insulation, so I should allow a few inches for that.
The workshop will be used for general hobby purposes – making a bit of fitted furniture, some new kitchen unit doors etc. and just generally escaping. The largest project on the horizon is the possibility of making a summerhouse, but a lot of that would be done in situ, I imagine.

So, do people think that a ceiling height of just under 8ft is perfectly OK or should I use a bit more of what is available? Thanks in anticipation.
Again, sorry about the ramble.

Graham

Depends on what you intend to make, but if it were me I would keep as much usable height as I could. An 8ft sheet is 9ft corner to corner!

I'd echo Graeme's sentiments here. Space in any workshop is the perennial problem but ceiling height is my particular bugbear. Do not underestimate the value of enough headroom to swing an 8x4 sheet - it's an easy thing to overlook untill you find you haven't got it. You'll need the diagonal measurement of the sheet plus enough clearance so as not to dink the corners, which is around 3 Mts.

The bottom line is - more is always more where space is concerned :wink:

I would insulate at rafter level (or just under it). My 'shop is a bit smaller than yours with 2 trusses at 1/3rd's.

I would go for as much height as possible - you can also use it to store stuff.

I have an 8-foot-plus-a-gnats ceiling height with the same 8x4 sheet in mind........but have found that it is never a factor. 8x4 sheets have a 4 foot dimension too, don't forget! My advice is to put the ceiling where it is easiest regarding your existing structure, then pile the insulation in. But I would say that, wouldn't I? :D

Mike

WellsWood":2iw9qd5e said:
I'd echo Graeme's sentiments here. Space in any workshop is the perennial problem but ceiling height is my particular bugbear. Do not underestimate the value of enough headroom to swing an 8x4 sheet - it's an easy thing to overlook untill you find you haven't got it. You'll need the diagonal measurement of the sheet plus enough clearance so as not to dink the corners, which is around 3 Mts.

The bottom line is - more is always more where space is concerned :wink:

And lot more is never enough. :D
Just like cramps, we always need more.

John

:)

Hi Graham

Of course youre right, the higher the ceiling the more it will take to heat, and the hottest air will always be up where you are not, but i would still keep the height all the way up without a second thought, you will without doubt regret it soon enough if you dont

Also, as long as you still insulate well and get yourself a burner etc youll be fine. Im out there in just a t-shirt today and have the door open to cool it down a bit!

Don't forget that you can still store stuff above your ceiling simply by putting an access hatch in your gable/s.

Mike

I have an insulated flat sloping roof on my 'shop with tubes dangling from it. I've arranged the height so that I can just walk under the lights (I'm 6') without grounding the top of me bonce, so the ceiling height is not much higher than about 7' or so - Rob

my workshop is two lorry body backs bolted together, so they are no more than 8' 1" high internal, and i work with ply and mdf in 8'x4' form all the time.

I can honestly say i have never had the issue of wanting to put one on its diagonal!

With a good system for moving your sheets into the saw etc, having them on one end shouldnt be a problem.

And the size of your workshop, should be fine.

Its nice and long at 9.5m so you can have two heights one to maximise storage/insulation ( i have 70mm of kingspan its absolutely fine) and a area for assembly and long stock, plan your m/c layout and it will work its self out.

cambournepete":17u5f6c9 said:
I seem to remember that Norm Abram went for as high a ceiling as possible when designing The New Yankee Workshop.

What! Shock horror!! An American going for the biggest possible of something?! Implausible..... :wink:

On a serious note, he would have taken into account TV requirements....booms, microphones etc.......Additionally, relationship to floor area is important with ceiling heights. If you have a building the size of Texas then a floor height of 10 feet would feel extremely claustraphobic. If you have a 4 foot square toilet room, a 10 foot ceiling feels ridiculously high.

Mike

As someone who works in a basement with a ceiling height of about 6'4' (and is 6'2" tall), I recommend all the height you can get, for lengths of wood, for machinery, for the fairly tall thing you want to work at on the bench ...

I have a 2.53m ceiling and even when 8x4s are are cut into 2x8 typical wardrobe sides they need handling with care if you want to stack them vertically.

You also want to avoid hitting any lighting mounted on the ceiling so thats another 100mm or so to take into account as fluro tubes do go BANG when you hit them with a lump of MDF.

Jason

Most of my workshop has a ceiling height of a bit more than 7' and I have always wanted more. I have just had an 8'x10' extension built which this goes to full pitch roof height and I am delighted with it. Yes, an 8'x4' sheet does have a small dimension but swinging an 8' length would be a problem in my 10' wide workshop not to mention a 3 metre board of timber.

Another overlooked advantage of taking at least part of the workshop to rafter height is the opportunity to insert Velux type window which let in loads of light and don't take up valuable wall space.

jim

My shop has two (small) rooms. One is part of a single garage and has a reasonable ceiling height. The other is a self built shed and through necessity has a very low roof, one end is about 7ft high going down to about six at the other end. I do seriously wish the roof was higher, I often bump things on it.

On the other hand, one advantage of the low roof means I can use it as storage space for things like screwdrivers etc in suitable 'racks'.

My shop is 7 feet high at the front and 6 feet high at the rear and turning sheets often entails carrying them outside to do it!
Having said that I store all sorts of tools, screws, jig and clamps etc on hooks or shelves within easy reach, and frankly, if I had more head height I almost certainly be storing my timber up there out of my way!

Roy.

Many thanks for all the useful input, everyone. Forums like this are brilliant. It’s very handy to be able to tap into everyone’s experience. I don’t know why, but my wife and three daughters never seem up for a discussion about workshop ceiling height. :?

I think I’m going to go for just over 8ft, with storage above, for the first third (which is a bit compromised anyway by an up-and-over door mechanism) and almost up to the ridge for the rest.

Graham

Yorkshire Graham":1kd5fpo2 said:
Many thanks for all the useful input, everyone. Forums like this are brilliant. It’s very handy to be able to tap into everyone’s experience. I don’t know why, but my wife and three daughters never seem up for a discussion about workshop ceiling height. :?

I think I’m going to go for just over 8ft, with storage above, for the first third (which is a bit compromised anyway by an up-and-over door mechanism) and almost up to the ridge for the rest.

Graham

I made a 'mezanine' storage shelf above the up and over garage door.

Steel tie rods up into the roof timbers allowing a big 3 sided "c" shaped shelf about 800mm deep allowing me to stand on a step ladder (with the door closed!) and survey the cr4p dumped (valuable items preserved) up there.

Bob

Latest posts

Back