Workshop boots

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brill88

Tom Brill general woodworker and woodsman
Reaction score
Need some footwear for the workshop woundered what people recommend

I got some DeWalt ones from Costco which were very comfortable and have lasted well. I forget the model, something like apprentice...

I have a pair of DeWalt boots with steel toecaps for the workshop and in the garden. They are comfortable. They are a bit heavy, so they take a while to get moving in the morning, but once they start, they keep going all day on their own!! The big disadvantage is they are not waterproof and the leather has already worn off the toes. My alternative is old Clarks dress shoes which are Goretex lined and the soles are worn smooth, so they don't drag so much mud into the house.

Depends on the shape of your foot (i used to be a boot fitter) but, having bought lots of work boots, my favourites have been Timberland Pro (comfortable out of the box and long lasting) and Blundstone (light, comfortable after short breaking in period)

When I feel I need them I use the Aussie Blundstone slip on boots, (I hate laces) I used to wear at work. An extra felt insole made standing on concrete at work bearable but the shop has a wood floor so is easier on the feet.

Pete

I got a pair of Himalayan steel toe anti slip boots that were my workboots in my last job (where going into the factory was prohibited without the safety boots, glasses and ear protection)

Since my work was mainly office based, they lasted a long time and when I left there I got it with me and I use it.

Steel toe came into its own a few times:
1. Table saw cast top fell on it during reassembly
2. 24mm spanner fell on it
3. A migless welder fell on it while moving it over rough concrete
4. Freshly sharpened chisels a couple of times
5. Pieces of timber while sawing

It also saved me from sharp burrs after drilling metal, nails etc.

I bought a pair of Dickies Medford boots for their insulated soles. A great improvement on my previous ones for the winter months.
Brian

‘Dealer’ boots.
Slip on and off so no laces to fill with sawdust and offer good foot protection.

I'm getting on alright at the moment with my first pair of "Redback" dealer boots. First pair of boots that fitted without breaking in....
Cheers Andy

I'm getting on alright at the moment with my first pair of "Redback" dealer boots. First pair of boots that fitted without breaking in....
Cheers Andy
I’ve been wearing those for workshop they seem fine plus slipping on and off is ace not sure I really need saftey toes tho I think for the price there pretty decent and well made my current pair I’ve had over a year and seem to be lasting well

I find these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Apache-Unisex-Adult-AP305-Safety-Boots/dp/B001U0OBO0/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2H0PYX1NH5HEZ&dchild=1&keywords=apache+rigger+boots+size+9&qid=1619558718&sprefix=apache+rigg,aps,161&sr=8-1 really good - although you will need to add some comfort insoles. Big advantage for me is they're waterproof - and remain so after 8 months. That is something none of the others (Including Dewalt) have managed in the past.
These insoles are comfy: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001E1CR0U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Think my uncle had those screwfix name brand so may have been somthing else funny thing is his company he works for did the branding for hyena workwear or what ever it is at screwfix. If I’m doing concrete post on fencing I wear wellies good onse though muc boots but those rigger type things look alright and the price but I imagine they’d be uncomfortable I never seem to get on with toe caps

I got some DeWalt ones from Costco which were very comfortable and have lasted well. I forget the model, something like apprentice...

you have Costco in England? (wow, just looked it up - you do! Same one, and not just a shoe store or something with the same name as our warehouse club - would never have guessed).

‘Dealer’ boots.
Slip on and off so no laces to fill with sawdust and offer good foot protection.
That's my choice as well, looks like or should look like "normal" shoes, easy on and off but not best for walking as I like a loose fit around the toes so my foot slips around inside of the boot a bit when I'm walking, but OK for walking in the workshop and workplace.

I had a look at what's available recently but most of them seem to have excessively chunky soles.

Last edited:
See if your local builders' merchant has any. Then you could try them on. If you're wearing them a lot, they need to be comfy!

Think my uncle had those screwfix name brand so may have been somthing else funny thing is his company he works for did the branding for hyena workwear or what ever it is at screwfix. If I’m doing concrete post on fencing I wear wellies good onse though muc boots but those rigger type things look alright and the price but I imagine they’d be uncomfortable I never seem to get on with toe caps
These are definitely not Screwfix - their Rigger boots can be cheap (Including DeWalt) but just don’t seem to stay waterproof.
Depends on your use I’m sure- my boots will be on or off many times in a day. If they weren’t I might’ve gone for laces.

Back