Workbench without a vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molynoox

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been looking through a few videos on workbenches as I need to make one soon and I gave some thought to a viceless bench. I saw the youtube vid from Mike Siemsen here and I found it really interesting. He seems to be able to do most stuff without a vice, and in some cases it looks quicker to do it the way he does it.

I know that there will be a different type of bench needed depending on what you make and how you make it (hand tools vs machines for example) so I'm not looking to start a debate on which setup is best, but it got me wondering what the wise people on here thought about Mike's setup in general?

As I say, I know it's suitability will depend on the 'what' and 'how' as mentioned above, but I'm still interested in general opinions on this setup and if anybody uses something similar and if they ever miss the vice? Or if you did want to start a debate then feel free :D

Martin

I wouldn't want to try on a bench with an apron.

Disregarding the actual design, and more onto the question..
which is likely dependent on there being another bench somewhere...

Bit difficult to sharpen a scraper without some sort of vice somewhere, not that having steel shavings on the workbench is a great idea.

That's the only time I've felt annoyed not having one for woodwork purposes.
Sawing dovetails on small stuff might be another, but I'm not too concerned about that yet, as everything I've needed to cut so far has been straight like tenons,
and the bandsaw covers that instead.

I have plenty of liddles large F clamps for nearly everything
Without those or similar ones it wouldn't be easy.
Everything's possible if you really don't want one.
I only installed one recently on me own bench as the metalwork vice was setup on the drill.
Might put some jaws on it someday, but pretty functional as it is I suppose.
I move my bench around, so the top can be slid over if need be and more suitable jaws swapped for long stock or whatever.

Get plenty of deep f clamps and have lots of nice offcuts handy if you intend to see
how it suits, should you not choose something with an apron.

Tom

SAM_6162.JPG

Some type of vice can be handy but unless you are using a lot of handtools then maybe it is just something in the way. I use a Worx superjaws which is portable and easily errected when needed to hold something and because it is portable you are not restricted in length. If I have a lot of dowel holes to drill or heavy duty pocket holes then it is really handy and can save a lot of time.

Could you get a metalworking vice and mount it on a piece of timber using bolts?

That way you can use it on your bench when you need it and put away when you don't? I saw this on a family handiman kind of tips sheet.

I’ve not had a vice for the first 5 years of my woodworking journey, just a temp workbench and I’ve worked out how to use clamps for all my workholding.

I just installed a leg vise as a prototype for my main bench build and it was a revelation. It’s so much quicker than faffing about with clamps etc. I’d never be without a vise from now on.

The only potential issue I can see that stands out is the need to occasionally use additional sacrificial scraps of wood to avoid marking the final workpiece in some instances. It's just one more thing to consider as opposed to slightly more permanent vice jaw protectors. That and holding thinner pieces on edge.

I saw the youtube vid from Mike Siemsen here and I found it really interesting. He seems to be able to do most stuff without a vice, and in some cases it looks quicker to do it the way he does it.
Im thinking along the same lines. My new bench will be based on a MFT type, holes on top and on the edge, doing away entirely with a need for a vice. Im interested in that end stop he has, though i might not be able to have it fit any lower than the top 6" due to the lower section of the bench being made from steel cabinets.
I think having a vice on the side of an mft would impede some operations.

It is a good video and shows how good the old work holding methods are. It also shows you can get by without a vice if you have to. I use holdfasts and the Doe's foot notched stick a lot and seldom use the end vice to secure boards on the bench top. The notched stick is a lot quicker than the end vice and your board is always flat on the bench top too. The split top and centerboard are another great feature. Now I guess I could get by without the tail vice alltogether and at a push without the face vice if I had to but vices are handy so I will still hang on to them. A metal vice is also handy to stick on the bench at times. I have one mounted on a bit of kitchen top with a rail screwed on the bottom that I clamp in the bench vice. I also clamp my saw sharpening vice in the bench vice. To sum up I could almost do without a vice but not quite.
Regards
John

I have a good solid workbench with no vice on it, however one of my most recent useful additions has been a vice. The vice I choose is a parrot vice which is bolted to a bit of 19mm ply and then G clamps to the bench. This means it is not going to move when I use it and is totally removable when I need a clear workbench. This particular vice is a really great modern take on an old tool. Having found it on Ax tools for £45 on offer it I just what my dad needs, he is 89, and it helps him hold items for model making, so he bought one too and I made a similar mount for him. This vice rotates through 360 degrees and locks tight with a cam locking system. Can well recommend it for those of us who like to be able to sometimes have a clear workbench. Useful for sharpening tools, in fact that is where I found it watching a YouTube video on saw sharpening.
5F7A99AC-EA32-49EE-9ABF-8EE0D515D0A5.png

An interesting topic.......

............historically the modern concept of a sliding (or not) vice with metal threads has only been available in the past century or so. Prior to that, carpenters and joiners used all sort of wooden beams and trestles.

Bench-hooks of all sizes and shapes croped up with regularity and the shape may have originated with the shape of animal antlers, as did the style of stirrup-adze, still used in Spain/Portugal.

One contemporary user who recreates Anglo-New England late 17th C furniture and who habitually works on a contempory vice-less bench is Peter Follansbee; he has plenty of material available on You-Tube that shows very well what can be done with just bench hooks (hold-fasts) and wedges.

I think that historically, workers used what was traditional and available in their area.
Personally, I made a bench 30 odd years ago that has a shoulder-vice, tail-vice and lots of holes for bench-hooks (or 'holdfasts', if you prefer the term).

It's a matter of preference..... and what you can afford, when all's said and done.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies, interesting reading. I might start without a vice and add one later if needed.

Martin

I have a good solid workbench with no vice on it, however one of my most recent useful additions has been a vice. The vice I choose is a parrot vice which is bolted to a bit of 19mm ply and then G clamps to the bench. This means it is not going to move when I use it and is totally removable when I need a clear workbench. This particular vice is a really great modern take on an old tool. Having found it on Ax tools for £45 on offer it I just what my dad needs, he is 89, and it helps him hold items for model making, so he bought one too and I made a similar mount for him. This vice rotates through 360 degrees and locks tight with a cam locking system. Can well recommend it for those of us who like to be able to sometimes have a clear workbench. Useful for sharpening tools, in fact that is where I found it watching a YouTube video on saw sharpening.
View attachment 141919
You should watch the 'this old tony' video on the topic. I just watched it and assume it just came out. I like his humour, and he is pretty capable too, even though it's all metal stuff it's still interesting how he problem solves everything.

Think of the vice as a third hand? Some tools need two hands, and the vice keeps the workpiece still?
Yes but other devices can do that too, it's not really a question of 'do I need work holding' but more a question of how 🙂

Think of the vice as a third hand? Some tools need two hands, and the vice keeps the workpiece still?
Yes but other devices can do that too, it's not really a question of 'do I need work holding' but more a question of how 🙂

Back