Work Trousers - why the extra pockets?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morfa

Established Member
Reaction score
For a while I've been using a pair of ArborWear trousers I got for climbing as my 'work' trousers. Sadly I ripped the buttocks out of them whilst squirming through a narrow gap on a Gritstone route. So needing to do some DIY the following day I went and bought a pair of 'work trousers' from Screwfix.

They seem to have a stupid amount of pockets. What seem especially daft are the extra flappy pockets hiding the normal pockets. Anyone actually use them? I'm quite tempted to cut them off at the moment.

Also the pencil pockets are a total bust as they're too long, so you loose a normal length pencil in them.

As I'm only a DIY bod, I have to wonder do people who work in these actually find all the pockets useful?

morfa":ryxd8xbo said:
They seem to have a stupid amount of pockets. What seem especially daft are the extra flappy pockets hiding the normal pockets. Anyone actually use them? I'm quite tempted to cut them off at the moment.
...As I'm only a DIY bod, I have to wonder do people who work in these actually find all the pockets useful?
You'll probably find that the nail pockets (or 'flappy' pockets, lol) will tuck into the normal pockets - they usually do if they're not removable. Try it - but sure, cut them off of you're pos. you'll never use them. I tend to wear TuffStuff work trousers, and it drives my nuts that the pockets change side from one range to another. Also, the removable nail pockets have the cheapest zips on them, so I always end up sewing them on anyway.

But yeah, I use pretty much all the pockets all the time. I like how I can keep my personal stuff (wallet, house keys, loose change) separate from work stuff - van / workshop / customer keys in the 'nail' pocket, screwdriver / sharpie / pencils in the leg pocket, phone in another, measure / leatherman / Stanley in another, etc.. etc..

Don't use the hammer /screwdriver / whatever loops much at all, and rarely the back pockets. But yeah, I use the others all the time. Maybe I just carry too much stuff, maybe I'm just a "dipshit" trying to look the part, lol! Either way, me and my pockets we get the job done...

Cheers, Pete

I think "wally" trousers are an English thing aren't they?! :lol: The Americans seem to prefer work belts.

Trouble for me is that when i fill all the pockets with stuff, they hang low and expose my builders bum. Lots of pockets is a good thing when you are up a ladder doing stuff.

I got a pair of those and i agree, the flappy things get on my nerves, and just fill up with sawdust. Much prefer the cheapo ones from aldi.

I've got jobman and carhartt branded work trousers and shorts, loads of pockets in them, the flap type pockets are extremely useful, I am a general builder so the extra pockets are ace, pencils, screw drivers, Stanley knife, loads of screws they've all been found in the washing machines on a very regular basis.
You have to be extra vigilant emptying pockets that's the only drawback I've found, the integrated knee pads are worth there weight in gold as well

The flap pockets are great when you want to have nails or other sharp pointy things easy to hand but also have the option of sitting down. If you put those items in regular pockets they tend to dig in or make holes.
For woodturning I wouldn't wear them as they'd get filled with shavings.

I like the way I can keep sharp spiky stuff from stabbing into my leg/ruining my phone.

For climbing I can give a massive recommendation for montane terra trousers. I've had a pair 5 years that have kept up with all the hillwalking and climbing I've done, plus an average of 2 nights a week down the local wall. More expensive than work trousers but they go the distance!

Don't use any more pockets than normal trousers and have a tool belt with leather tool / nail pockets in it. I can take it off for a brew, driving the van. Don't have to be vigilant or risk recking the washer. I don't worry about the brand of trousers / pocket location. I don't have to empty my pockets at the end of the day / load up at the start. I'm not American, but think they came up with the best solution.

deema":28i1fltx said:
Don't use any more pockets than normal trousers and have a tool belt with leather tool / nail pockets in it. I can take it off for a brew, driving the van. Don't have to be vigilant or risk recking the washer. I don't worry about the brand of trousers / pocket location. I don't have to empty my pockets at the end of the day / load up at the start. I'm not American, but think they came up with the best solution.

Any recommendations for a tool belt then?

They seem like a bit of a love hate thing really. A couple of people with various names for them (I like Wally trousers) and a few folks who love them. I can see why they're called nail pockets, that makes a lot of sense now. I guess as I'm either doing small jobs in the house or working in my small workshop, I'm never more than a few paces away from nails or screws. However if you're on a big site, I can imagine having a pocket full of screws when you're potentially driving 100s or 1000s of screws in. Also I guess after the first time you've embedded a nail in your buttocks, you won't want to do it again.

You can also entertain your nearest and dearest with a convincing elephant impression with them! :lol:

With my advancing age and expanding girth, my elephant has lost his trunk, well I certainly have difficulty seeing it. :oops:

Mike

The temptation is to buy a belt with loads of pockets and holders. They IMO are just bulky and not really useful. I believe your a DIYer, so working at height probably isn't a big issue and you don't need to have a good system for holding drills, hammers etc. I'd layout the tools that you use 90% of the time, tape measure, screwdrivers, ruler, pencil, etc etc, and think about the stuff that you spend time trying to find because you out it down and use it every 5 mins. I'd then start looking for a belt system that would fit these in. Having a wide mouth pouch is also good for screws and nails, you will use it.

Fiddly small pockets for screw drivers and pencils for me don't work, anything that you have to look down to put the tool away won't get used. Button down pockets are also IMO a problem, the flap gets in the way.

As for a recommendation, well, any that your tools fit into will do. The one I use the most came off eBay with no makers name....Chinese I think. But it's good tough leather, well stitched and was less than £20!

When working up a ladder (not good practice) I use a bucket on a rope, climb ladder and pull the bucket up to your level, tie if off and use the tools pre-loaded into the bucket, don't forget to lower the bucket down before you climb down the ladder. #-o

Mike

I never liked the look of the flap pockets on workwear trousers either (still don't) but I'm a plasterer and I step up and down from hop ups (500-600mm high) all day long. I hate having anything in my pockets against my legs. After trying some trousers with the flaps a few years ago all my trousers now have these pockets. They don't bind up against your legs like when you fill the normal pockets against your legs. Also as others have said sharp things don't spike your legs. I bought a set of the Aldi trousers once, they didn't last one full day of site work. I think if you are earning a living wearing this kind of kit it is worth spending enough to get good quality comfortable gear. Snickers duratwill are my favourites.

Back