Work Boots?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I've been wearing trainers since I started playing with tools. Thankfully these trainers are at last starting to fall to bits. I want to buy some good work boots. They need to be comfortable, easy to clean (might get muddy), relatively quick to put on and finally they need some form of toe cap.

Where do I start looking. I obviously want places I can try the boots before buying them. I've seen B&Q sell Dura (or something like that). Are these any good?

Cheers,

Dave

I have considered this before. I also wear trainers when working. DeWalt do a range similar to what Fecn posted. I guess it's a no brainer, they look as comfortable as trainers with the added protection on the toes. I guess comfort is a big factor also, especially for the woodworker, who may be standing at the bench for long periods.

Anniversary coming up, might have to make some subtle hints :whistle:

chipp71970":121nn10q said:
I had a pair of the Dewalt boots below they were great, light and not a bad price.

http://www.powertools2u.co.uk/mall/prod ... nger/62107

I now have a pair of Timberland Pro boots about £70 I bought them thinking they would be even better as they are "Timberlands" but they are rubbish so dont buy them. :cry:

Those are the business. I've got a pair of those (or similar at least) that I have had for 4 years and they are still going strong. Very comfortable as well.

Gary

davejester":djynwmpb said:
Where do I start looking. I obviously want places I can try the boots before buying them. I've seen B&Q sell Dura (or something like that). Are these any good?

I have always bought my boots from Mastershoe. They have a large selection of workboots and you can try them on (it was how I discovered that Doc Martin's just do not fit my feet as well as cheap £20 knock offs ;) )

http://www.gilesuk.co.uk/stores.php

But it looks like the closest store to you is Bristol.

I wear a pair of cat boots (not steel toe.) They are great in all aspects, one of the best things about them is they come off easily. Popping into the house for whatever you need and leaving a trail of shavings and mud is fast track for a ear full in my house :shock:
Purely for that reason cats are great :lol:

The best toecapped trainers I had were branded as Kellys but since the last ones wore out I haven't been able to locate anymore. Not too heavy and very comfortable unlike the Sterling brand ones that replaced them which were unwearable.
So if anyone knows where I can get some Kellys steel toe trainers.....

Used to have a pair of the Dewalt trainer type safety shoe and they were great but picked up a pair of Aldi's safety trainers and they are brilliant for the price :D
They've actually lasted longer than the Dewalt ones and are constantly worn in work.
When these go they will be replaced with another pair of the same - think they were either £9.99 or £12.99 :D

Ian

The best workboots I have had are Dickies. About £30 from Machine Mart.

Cheers for all the info. I tried picking up a pair of Dickies last night from Screwfix but they didn't have any. Will pop in to MachineMart when I get some spare time. Will also check out Aldi.

Cheers,

Dave

I've also got the same Dickies Storm boots as mentioned in the original post. I've had them for over a year now and I'm dead impressed with how well they've lasted (well, everything except for the insoles, that is - two-pairs of socks time!).

I've worn other Dickies and Makita (I think Dickies make their boots anyway?) over the past few years and after about 9 months, signs of abuse are usually starting to show.

What about the classic Catepillar boots?
I have a pair and they are comfortable all day long, my longest so far is about 16 hours and they were still comfortable.
Plenty of support too

I'm not sure if it's any help, as these might not be availabe in the stores elsewhere in the UK, but Lidl have some safety boots for sale at the moment in their Northern Ireland branches for £19.99:

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home_ni.nsf/pages ... afetyBoots

I don't know what they are like, but I plan to have a look at them in a local store tomorrow if they have any left.

Dave,

Not necessarly obvious, but you may find that a good outdoor shop (e.g. Millets or similar) will sell steel toe-capped boots. I bought mine from an outdoor shop, which of course meant that there was no problem with trying them on first. They were not as pricey as I expected either...

HTH.
Cheers,
Martin.

EDIT: by outdoor shop, I mean the kind of shop that sells hiking gear such as boots, coats, tents etc.

Back