Word to pdf conversion!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasmansteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks
I`ve been asked to submit a file in pdf format. I`ve created an 11.1mb document in Word but when I use Open Office for the conversion the resulting pdf is 51.1mb which is too large to attach to an email (BT allows 25mb I understand). Never having made a pdf before does this 51mb sound about the right size for a 11mb word doc to pdf conversion or should I try some other way ?.
Cheers
Steve

Hiya, 51 Mb is way too big. If you want to email me the file I can reduce it down for you. You should be able to get it down to around 2 or 3 Mb as a PDF. CutePDF I think is a free program which will make PDFs for you.

Thanks for that Neil I`ll try that cutepdf first if thats ok. I`ve got a few files to convert soon so don`t want to bother you with em all :) .
I suppose reducing a pdf in size reduces the quality of any jpg`s or bmp`s inside it which is what I wanted to keep if poss?? guess you can`t have it both ways!!
Steve

No probs :)

If it's just photos then word isn't the best thing to use, as it adds huge amounts of useless information. Try picasa or something like that on google.

If it's a mix of photos and text (not just captions) then try and reduce the quality of the images in word. I'm not sure how to do it off the top of my head, but assuming the pics have come straight off your camera you can probably reduce them to around 70% quality without it being obvious to the naked eye (or the naked printer).

Excellent stuff Neil. Just tried that Cutepdf and got it down to 7mb and still looks spot on don`t know how the hell that works but thanks a lot for that =D> =D>
Steve

neilg":3rbrmqc7 said:
No probs :)

If it's just photos then word isn't the best thing to use, as it adds huge amounts of useless information. Try picasa or something like that on google.

If it's a mix of photos and text (not just captions) then try and reduce the quality of the images in word. I'm not sure how to do it off the top of my head, but assuming the pics have come straight off your camera you can probably reduce them to around 70% quality without it being obvious to the naked eye (or the naked printer).

If you are using word 2007 the image compression is a doddle. Click on any pic you've inserted, then on the toolbar you will see a picture tools heading, with format underneath. Click it, which brings up the picture format tools and on the far left of the tolls is 'compress pictures'. Click this and it will allow you to automatically adjust the resolution of all photos to a more maneagble size, including deleting cropped areas. If you are using word 2003 then I think it is alos in the picture format toolbox whihc can be accessed through right clicking on a photo.

If you do happen to be using 2007 you can download the office pdf add in:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/d ... laylang=en

I don't know how good it will be but it mioght help you out.

Chris

A good software package for this kind of thing is Open Office, similar to Microsoft Works, more features and has less compatibility issues.
Download it for free, then to make a PDF you make a document, then click 'File' export as PDF and there you go.

Chunko'.

Hi,

A little late to the party, but if you have Word 2007 or later than pdf is built in. just go to File (or round blob), save as and select pdf. I use this every day to earn my crust and it works like a charm.

James

Back