Woodworm!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PS just to I'm a newbie to this wonderful forum and I have found it Invaluable - and thanks to everyone! Will post pics of my recently refurbished Wadkin AGS 10 which was a labour of love but worth the time it took and have some questions on my next bandsaw choice. Thanks again to you all from here in sunny Somerset

I have some old timber beams etc that we salvaged from an outbuilding we converted.
They have woodworm but good old strong timber various types of softwood and some oak I would like to re purpose.
Anyone suggest what I treat it with before I use the wood? Some are 4m 6 x 4 inches

I have some old timber beams etc that we salvaged from an outbuilding we converted.
They have woodworm but good old strong timber various types of softwood and some oak I would like to re purpose.
Anyone suggest what I treat it with before I use the wood? Some are 4m 6 x 4 inches
I'd take pot luck - assume it is an old attack and not do anything. Then keep an eye on it in its new role for a year or more and give it the Boron treatment if there are signs of life i.e. dust or the actual flying beetles sometime in late may to June.
If you machine the wood keep an eye open for life woodworm (white maggotty things in obvious tunnels) and if seen treat it accordingly.
No point in treating it before you machine it or you'll have to treat any cut or planed surfaces again.

They burrow in and eat the timber for years before leaving.
Treatments only kill / sterilise them on the way in or way out hence stopping the spread.
They prefer softer / sap wood with nutrients, over hard heartwood.
Your MDF is safe because there's no nutrients in cardboard.
They are attracted to light / way to the doors when they emerge and want to find a mate.

Back