woodworking abroad...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davin

Established Member
Reaction score
Just thought I would see what other members have done.
Just come back from Denmark. Was asked to fit kitchen worktops ! Apparently cheaper to fly me out for two days than get a local chippy.
Luckily they were solid,so no jigs or routers needed.
Was a bit concerned that security would stop my bag, containing jig saw, battery drill, blades. mitre glue etc etc..
So what and where have you been ?
Hanging doors in Azerbaijhan?
Kitchens in Zimbabwe?

davin

A couple of years ago I went over to Ireland to fit a kitchen for some friends who had moved to Dublin. I had nearly finished it when I needed some bits and pieces to finish it off so went in search of the local B & Q. I stopped a local and asked if there was a B & Q in Dublin, he said no, but there are two Rs in Tipperary. While there I took the opportunity to do some fishing with my friend, we had a good day catching several Salmon. On the way back to the house we bumped into two of the local lads who admired the Salmon we had caught, they asked how we had caught them so I explained that we had one or two on rod and line but then we cheated and I had hung over a bridge with my friend holding my legs while I tickled another two Salmon. The two locals thought they we give it a go and the following evening we met them in the local pub and I asked them how they had got on. Mick expained that they found a bridke and he went over while Paddy held his legs. After half an hour Mick shouted up for Mick to pull him up, Paddy asked if he had a Salmon and Paddy said no, theres a train coming.

Chippygeoff":uqk66jmb said:
A couple of years ago I went over to Ireland to fit a kitchen for some friends who had moved to Dublin. I had nearly finished it when I needed some bits and pieces to finish it off so went in search of the local B & Q. I stopped a local and asked if there was a B & Q in Dublin, he said no, but there are two Rs in Tipperary. While there I took the opportunity to do some fishing with my friend, we had a good day catching several Salmon. On the way back to the house we bumped into two of the local lads who admired the Salmon we had caught, they asked how we had caught them so I explained that we had one or two on rod and line but then we cheated and I had hung over a bridge with my friend holding my legs while I tickled another two Salmon. The two locals thought they we give it a go and the following evening we met them in the local pub and I asked them how they had got on. Mick expained that they found a bridke and he went over while Paddy held his legs. After half an hour Mick shouted up for Mick to pull him up, Paddy asked if he had a Salmon and Paddy said no, theres a train coming.
Tickled me =D> =D> =D>

BH

davin":2vqnn024 said:
Just thought I would see what other members have done.
Just come back from Denmark. Was asked to fit kitchen worktops ! Apparently cheaper to fly me out for two days than get a local chippy.
Luckily they were solid,so no jigs or routers needed.
Was a bit concerned that security would stop my bag, containing jig saw, battery drill, blades. mitre glue etc etc..
So what and where have you been ?
Hanging doors in Azerbaijhan?
Kitchens in Zimbabwe?

davin

Other way round for me, spent some time working in places that were sposed to look like Iraq and Afghanistan but were actually in England :lol: :lol:

Had 3 1/2 weeks in New York stripping and repolishing a library in a town house in Manhattan, along with 2 days snagging in a penthouse in the Plaza Hotel.

Also had 10 months supervising a job in Zurich, Switzerland. Due to go out there for another couple of weeks in the next month or so for a bit of additional work. :)

Not really the same thing but I've also been working airside at terminal3 at Heathrow for the last week or so.

Well, I needed my passport each time I went to work... :D

Does woodworking in Thailand count? That is where I get to do mine. Though most of my tools come from Blighty via Japan. The help isn't bad though a little small. :? :?

Attachments

• Child labour.jpg
    Child labour.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 711
Certainly does count.
Just to clarify, I wasn't gloating. The day after I got back I was laying a laminate floor in Gillingham in Kent, Which believe me was more of a culture shock than going to Denmark !

Back