Woodworkers websites - specifically, designer/makers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for inspiration, I have been trawling a lot of these sites lately. It drives me up the wall to encounter yet another arty-farty flash site that seems designed to put visitors off. Even the best ones don't do anything for me and the vast majority seem to have been done by people more interested in the crappy effects than the furniture they are presumably wanting to sell.

I HATE flash!

Paul Chapman":2fht6j3g said:
Those sites are awful, Chris. Don't know why they bother.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I agree tho the one chas posted is even worse

i think the problem with web design proammes in amateur hands is that people try to use ever effect going rather than remembering that for a proffesional look less is often more.

Agree Chris, they're not all that inspiring. It would be good though to see a couple of examples of decent professional sites.
As an idea, what about a compilation of the better sites (sort of a Rouges Gallery in reverse) so that forum members could have a browse through the decent stuff on t'interweb without having to wade through all the dross?
Make it a sticky in the 'Design' forum that members could add to.... just a thought - Rob

I seem to remember Chris Tribe's site was pretty good

Thank you or the kind words Damian. I hope it is still pretty good!

However I have been thinking reently that the content is not as professional looking as it should be, I am not happy with the quality of the images and I wonder if the text is a bit too "chatty". You will notice that I have started to change it, that is why the home and introduction pages are in the third person and the project pages in the third person. It will be a long term poject to amend all the gallery pages.

I also intend to introduce a blog in the next few weeks.

Chris

I didn't realise that you'd moved, Chris.

Your website looks great - I'm interested to see kitchens and bedrooms making an appearence. What next, MDF alcove units? :lol:

See you later on - I'll have the stove roaring...

Brad

CNC Paul":24orm2hx said:
Hey Brad

Pinky has a nice website 8)

to be fair the pink p...taker has finally removed the picture of brads wardrobes from his website

(though i'm fairly sure ive seen the second kitchen down on his site on here before too)

and kidding aside IMO the pink website is truly and totally awful - if ever there weas an example of how not to do it....

Mr T":15zojfhu said:
Hi

I forgot to mention, this new site has received some praise recentlyhttp://www.outofthewood.co.uk/ but in light of recent comments it may be considered too flashy!

Chris
Why do they do this? I have a decent size screen yet they put some poxy tiny little flash thing in the middle with text so small it's hard to read. Black text on a dark grey background in the menu. agggh!!!

Some nice furniture, though.

Dave

big soft moose":28u6u896 said:
CNC Paul":28u6u896 said:
Hey Brad

Pinky has a nice website 8)

to be fair the pink p...taker has finally removed the picture of brads wardrobes from his website

(though i'm fairly sure ive seen the second kitchen down on his site on here before too)

and kidding aside IMO the pink website is truly and totally awful - if ever there weas an example of how not to do it....

you`ve got to love the springer that managed to get into one of the kitchen shots :D

cringe

Steve

Latest posts

Back