Woodworkers websites - specifically, designer/makers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More cases of technology driving demand.

It seems to be that manufacturers of anything linked to IT have to "add value" in order to sell. This normally means far to many functions on all sorts of hardware and software.

Having just upgraded to my operating system I have just spent many hours turning many of the added extras off.

cheers

Andy

dedee":2tl6iefv said:
It seems to be that manufacturers of anything linked to IT have to "add value" in order to sell. This normally means far to many functions on all sorts of hardware and software.

The other way to sell an upgrade is to prefix the software, accessory, etc with an "i". iI ithink iit's ia ikinda iof iperceived iadded ivalue i. We will call it iFactor.

Does anyone know what the "i" stands for?

Matt,
Originally Apple first used the i in iMac to signify that it was easy to connect to the Internet. I think it is used elsewhere in the Apple range as a marketing gimmick linking all there products to the design classic that was/is the iMac.

Andy

Does anyone know what the "i" stands for?

silly person - as in 'if we prefix this latest update, which has miniscule benefit over the last one, with a cool trendy letter, then some silly person will buy it'.

Works on most things - iphone, ipod etc. Who wants to buy a phone or a pod when you can have an iphone or an ipod? Become an 'icon' to fashion and vogue by buying into the marketing and brand. Look out for the igloo from titebond - coming soon to a store near you this winter :wink: Other letters also work - pick a sports motorbike from any of the Japanese manufacturers and guaranteed it will have a couple of letters from the ar*e end of the alphabet in its title - YZFR1, 1100ZXR and so on. The new VFR1200, guaranteed to induce ZZZZZZZ :shock: My main gripe is I didn't get told at school in careers - go into marketing, all you have to do is add a cool letter to mundane everyday objects and and you will be richer than the Queen :roll:

Sorry - just been lecturing students and need to let off some steam :D

Steve

StevieB":1q6oaj8h said:
.......ring students and need to let off some steam :D

Steve

Lordie!....if your students make you want to let off steam then I shudder to think what schools are like!

And maybe there should also be the Dummy prefix on everything....as in:

"The Dummies Guide to Tying Your Shoelaces"

"The Dummys Guide to Spelling" or, leaving the best 'til last,

"The Dummys Guide to Using 1000 irrelevant folksy sticking-in-your-craw words when 10 will do nicely"

Back