Woodturning courses

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truckmac

Reaction score
Hi all
I've been an avid lurker on this forum for a long while and I've never failed to be seriously impressed by the wealth of knowledge and experience to be gained herein, to say nothing of the willingness of the forum members to share such.

I've recently achieved a long-term ambition and built myself a bit of a workshop (went hand-in-hand with getting a mortgage as it happens :shock: )and this means I can go for another ambition and try a bit of turning.

I've found myself a nice little ML8 (in cracking condition :D ) plus a few bits and bobs off the 'bay and had a bit of a go with it but what I'd really like to do is learn to do it properly from scratch, rather than learning by (possibly painful :( )mistakes and maybe not the best or most efficient way.

What I thought I'd do is treat myself to a course in turning but I don't really know where to start, other than responding to adverts, but I'd rather find somebody by recommendation.

Can anybody recommend any courses or tutors in my area? I'm in south Birmingham.

Many thanks for any replies and, if (big if ! ) I manage to produce anything worthwhile, I promise to provide evidence !

Welcome to the forum, and the slippery slope
that is woodturning truckmac. :D

hello and welcome

I cant think of any in your immediate area but there are lots out there that are worth travelling for

Hi,

I know that Reg Sherwin is in that area, he is a professional and does do lessons, but I have no personal experience with him. I think he's located on some sort of craft and historic building place that is open to the public so you have the ability to go and see him without worrying about interrupting him during a working day.

Ben

Welcome to the forum truckmac, assuming you do not have transport restrictions can you give an idea of how far you are prepared to travel for tuition.

There are several very accomplished turners on this forum who give lessons, and many others outside the forum that forum members have attended.

Modesty/good taste may be stopping members self advertising but if we know your acceptable range you may get some pointers via PM's.

Thanks very much for the welcomes and replies, folks ! There's some good pointers and info been posted.

I've heard Reg Sherwin mentioned before, although before I was ready to roll, as it were.

I'll have a further dig with the info and, when I get sorted, I'll report back :wink:

Won't be for a while though; I'm self-employed and so me-time is always at a premium (that's why I've only just started posting), so I'm planning to take the plunge in the New Year, when it's a bit quieter.

Thanks again, folks.

truckmac":2r1afv43 said:
Thanks very much for the welcomes and replies, folks ! There's some good pointers and info been posted.

I've heard Reg Sherwin mentioned before, although before I was ready to roll, as it were.

I'll have a further dig with the info and, when I get sorted, I'll report back :wink:

Won't be for a while though; I'm self-employed and so me-time is always at a premium (that's why I've only just started posting), so I'm planning to take the plunge in the New Year, when it's a bit quieter.

Thanks again, folks.

just to say reg sherwin can be an acquired taste - although i admit ive not met him and he may be different in the flesh , i absolutely hated and detested his articles in "wood turner" finding them extremly patronising towards newcomers to the craft, to the point that i cancelled my subscription and started reading only "wood turning."

Welcome to the forum,

As others have said, I am not sure how far you are willing to travel nor your availability, but Avon & Bristol Woodturners have an 'Apprentice' scheme. They have a workshop in Portishead (M5, J19) with over 20 lathes and charge about £8 per day for use of the workshop and tuition on a group basis with a choice of 2 days each week and come as often or as little as you need.

May be a bit tool far although it is motorway all the way.

Google will give a link and more contact info or drop me a PM.

Simon

South Birmingham is in range of a good few pro turners and a lot of pretty experienced turners on this forum as well. There may well be those on here who would be willing to get alongside you and explain / show you things. My first 18 months turning were under the instruction of peole on this forum with no other input except the odd magazine etc and loads of practice. Both Richard (as mentioned) and Mark Hancock are in range and there are also clubs that should be close enough which can be a good source of tuition and guidance.

Pete

Thanks again for all the hepful replies, folks. Not being rude in not replying straight away but I'm usually absolutely cream-crackered when I get in at night and it's all I can do to knock some sandwiches together for the next day and read the paper (which I usually get half way through before the eyelids start drooping) :cry:

I've narrowed it down to Richard Findlay and Mark Hancock at the moment, both well within distance and (hopefully) reasonably priced. I'll let you know how I get on..... :D

truckmac":369r0bpm said:
I've narrowed it down to Richard Findlay and Mark Hancock at the moment, both well within distance and (hopefully) reasonably priced. I'll let you know how I get on..... :D

both excellent choices

I think richard charges £120 for a day or £65 for a half day which imo is pretty reasonable plus if youve got a freind whose into turning he can offer 1 to 2 and split the fee. http://www.turnersworkshop.co.uk/tuition.html

meanwhile mark charges £95 per student per day but i'm not sure how many people he usually has on a course http://www.markhancock.co.uk/

both are members here and both are very acomplished turners - it was seeing marks work in woodturning magazine that inspired me to start turning 9 years ago.

Latest posts

Back