Woodturning Book / DVD for beginners please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed, very useful and straightforward. I have the book and the DVD is on order.
JjonF

Captain":271a2lh1 said:
Can anyone recommend a good Woodturning Book / DVD for beginners please?Thanks

I see no reason why these books aren't suitable for a beginner. Keith Rowleys book is ok at best in my opinion but it will do nothing to aid a beginners creative or artistic tendencies.

skeetoids":1n1bbn4u said:
I see no reason why these books aren't suitable for a beginner. Keith Rowleys book is ok at best in my opinion but it will do nothing to aid a beginners creative or artistic tendencies.
Maybe not, but it will teach good basic technique which many people think is a good if not essential starting place.

Hi Pete,

I completely agree with you. However, there are many things that a beginner needs and Rowleys book only goes someway to providing these.

When I began I found it very helpful to have all of these books as they all had lots to offer the beginner. I just added the 2 books as additonal resources but ones that cater more towards giving a creative and artistic mindset to the beginner.

Cheers,

Lee.

another one here for Keith Rowley, =D>
if its any indication, before january i had never picked up a gouge and guess who got a third in the infamous egg cup challenge last month :shock: , and keith rowleys book is the only 'instruction' i have ever received. (apart from all the wonderful help from the guys on here of course =D> )

...also look a bit further down the page to this thread
beginner-projects-t50572.html

I`m a sucker for woodturning books and DVD`s and I`ve found them very useful substitutes for lessons or membership of a club.
I tend to agree with Lee. I think we all ( beginners included) need something to aspire to and to see work that inspires, as well as instruction. The two books he mentions certainly provide inspiration.
I do have Rowley`s book and in my opinion, he does give a good, methodical grounding, despite being a bit pedantic and prescriptive. I would give his DVD a miss - it might send you to sleep! Despite his undoubted accomplishments as a turner, to me, he seems ill at ease in front of the camera.
Glen Lucas` DVD is the best I`ve seen on sharpenng and tool use, and he is a superb presenter. I believe there is another one of his on bowl turning in the pipeline. That should be worth waiting for.

Ian

Thank you everyone for your feedback. Iv never used a Lathe before.... So iv just brought myself - Jet JML-1014 Mini Wood Lathe, Robert Sorby 67HS Six piece Starter set and a woodturning book by Keith Rowley.

Cheers

I've just watched Keith Rowley's DVD and although I found it excellent (for a beginner like me) I have to confess that as per Ian's comment I did go to sleep. In fairness to Mr Rowley it was probably more due to the glass of wine... or two. The bonus is that I need to watch it again now thus getting more value from the purchase, unlike the wine situation a glass half full philosophy.

JonF.

Captain":1cziuuw6 said:
Can anyone recommend a good Woodturning Book / DVD for beginners please?

Thanks
Gary Rance has a very good DVD to guide you through the basics including spindle work, faceplate work and sharpening without jigs http://www.garyrance.co.uk/. If you get the chance to see him then do, he is fast, accurate and willing to pass on advice.

Regards Keith

Captain,

I am no master woodturner, but here goes anyway..................( just my way of learning )

Welcome to the mad world of woodturning, I ( due to where I live ) only had u-tube and a Raffan DVD. Richard Raffan doesn't wait too long at the lathe and is amazingly fast at what he does, he uses the Skew chisel like no other that I have seen. I had to watch him a thousand times to pick it all up, but enjoyed the process. My point is that IMHO.if you find a teaching method that you like and get on with, stick with that person, at first, learn there way and then adopt different methods later on from others, when you feel more confident.

SOME u-tube videos are in my opinion a little ( LOT ) dangerous to copy, I am sure that you will spot them quite easily, but these are free to watch, so why not. I also learned a lot on u-tube via bobham5 ( Bob Hamilton ) a regular video submitter on a US. site, he is slower and explains everything he does. these are also free to watch.

Sorry to waffle on..................................................good luck and enjoy the process

Back