Woodstar PT85 review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerTool

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi - bought one about two weeks ago,but actually got chance to use it today.
Picture004.jpg

After unpacking,the only bits to assemble are the fence (one screw,one grubscrew - Allen key provided) and the dust extractor hood.Comes with pushstick and two spare drive belts.
Set it up in the garage ready to size some timber to renovate a garden seat for my ex-wifes pub beer garden.
Picture014.jpg

Went to turn it on to see how loud it was,but it wouldn't start :shock:
After checking socket,fuse,reset switch etc. and still no joy,rang Machine Mart (local store,where I bought it from)
"Have you got the dust extractor hood connected?"
Err,no..
"Ah - there's a microswitch on one of the mounting points - caught me out first time I used one as well"
Picture011.jpg

Problem solved,all now well.
So started off with some of this :-
Picture022.jpg

Ended up with some of this :-
Picture021.jpg

First time I have had a planer thicknesser,so I have nothing to compare it with,but:-
Quieter than I thought it would be (virtually silent with ear defenders on)
Easy to use in both modes - but you have to take the fence off to reposition the dust extractor hood for thicknessing mode.
Beds flat,fence square to bed.
Height adjustment for thicknessing easy to get used to (One turn of the handle = 3mm)
200mm planing width,120mm max depth
Heavy enough to be stable,but still light enough to move about (25kg)

Overall,I think it was a good buy - certainly pleased with it as a good hobby level machine.

Andrew

I also find theWooodstar PT85 a good machine for hobby use. Hiwever I am unimpressed with the handbook. I needed to clean the planer blades so I remove them and did this. When I refitted them I could not remember which way up they went. Is the flat side uppermost or is it the bevel side. I phoned the supplier tech service who advise the flat side uppermost after some thought but it doesn't look right. The hand book does not show so before I start planing again any advice welcome please.

Hi Joseph and welcome to the forum. :)

Looking at the machine from the planer side (overhead) and imagine the cutter block rotating towards you - the face of the bevel should be uppermost, so it actually cuts in to the timber.

If you imagine it the other way round, with the bevel down then, this is only going to rub against the timber and won't cut it.

Hope this helps. :)

Thank you Olly. That is what I thought. I was suspicious of the reply from the suppliers tech services agent as he said he wasn't sure but then remembered he serviced one of these machines a few days ago so I assumed he knew what he was talking about but it looked wrong to me. My machine suppliers were most unhelpful as they have been on several occasions. Caveat emptor - at my advanced age I should know better.

Back