Woodstar PT106

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

projekct

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, been looking at buying a planer thicknesser for some while now and being a fan of scheppach tools, i instantly looked at them, however I couldn't stretch to the prices they asked. I decided to look about and was pointed to the woodstar PT106, its a 10 x 6" unit which weighs in at about 40kg.

I was wondering if anyone has used/ seen or owned one and if its worth the 329 quid i saw it listed at.

Cheers

mmm looks like a good un, although I can only find the PT106 2 wit the chip extractor.. Seems strange that they are both PT106 (The woodstar and the Axminster) you think its the same unit with a slight mod for floor standing?

Anyone using the AWEPT106?

I have just bought the Woodstar PT85 - for what I need it for it is excellent. So far I have put about 10 8' floor boards through it and an old bit of pine that had sat out side for a few years - all came out looking great!

The only thing I was a bit disappointed about was the clips that hold the extractor housing - I'm sure they will break quite easy if you drop the housing!

HTH

Dave

Having just Googled the Woodstar PT106, I can say that although it has similar capacities, it's a benchtop model and so very different to the Axminster one Chems linked to.

Yeah they arent the same.

It seems axminster have just finished that offer, if you ring them and plead that you were about to buy they may still do it for you.

OPJ":3qhhrrbh said:
Having just Googled the Woodstar PT106, I can say that although it has similar capacities, it's a benchtop model and so very different to the Axminster one Chems linked to.

Yeah I knew that the physical unit was different it was the gubbing that make it all work. I Like the Axminster and for the money its pretty good, but I think its the size that may swing it for the woodstar. I was also looking at the PT85 but though as I will be doing hefty timber when building the bodies of my guitars I would need a bit more grunt.

Guys all your advice is greatly appreciated, its all moeved on quite a bit since I served my apprenticeship 20 years ago!

OPJ":1vs45kpy said:

The model names come directly from the capacities of the machines. PT106 = planer/thicknesser 10" x 6". The Woodstar PT85 has 8" x 5" capacity. I don't have a PT and no floor space to put one, so one of these Woodstars would be good for me if the quality was ok. I think the short tables would be the biggest drawback.

I was surprised at the quality of the wood that came out the other end of the PT85 thicknesser - I used it to build my workbench and so was not too concerned but it was as smooth as the proverbial..... :oops: Having said that I did put it through a few times taking off between .5mm to 1mm.

I have no idea if this is normal as this is my first P/T but if compared to planned wood from a general DIY store I would say it was better!

The planner fence may not be as good as a pro machine, but I haven't tested it yet!

HTH

Dave

I think I will go for the woodstar, I really dont have that sort of room for the Axminster. Problem is I have only found the Woodstar in one place, anyone seen it for sale anywhere else?

Hi,

have you had a look Fox F22 564 planer thicknesser, it's capacity is slightly larger than the Woodstar PT85, it does 8x8 and is roughly the same price to the PT85

I'm thinking of buying this one myself or the Woodstar.

Does anyone own the Fox F22 564 as a comparrason to the Woodstar?

Thanks

Charnwood also do a similar model to the Fox, Woodstar and SIP

Have a look on Ebay brand new usually go for about £150.

Harry

hi, i have the Fox model and have used it for oak, white wood, ash etc and it makes a decent fist of things although i payed £120 from Rutlands for mine and would'nt like to pay any more for one. The fences are completly unusable, absolute rubbish, i use a 3 inch piece of angle aluminium instead clamped on to the tables, reduces the capaity but at least makes it usable.

Latest posts

Back