Woodford TC10 table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DennisCA

Established Member
Reaction score
I mentioned this briefly in my thread on the Axminster TS250 but I thought it could do with its own thread. Been speaking to Roy via email but it feels like it's a bit difficult to get answers to all the questions I got, seems to have taken a chapter from the american "one e-mail, one question" book of customer service.

I got some pictures but I wonder about the specs, doesn't look like it truly weighs 275kg (600lbs or so) does it? More in the 100-150kg range perhaps. Anyone here got this saw and know what it weighs?

0uZgr6o.jpg

SypWd3Z.jpg

yCn6EhM.jpg

Z8PSiGA.jpg

Also looks like it got a more traditional splitter than a riving knife though Roy says it has a riving knife, I guess if it moves up and down with the blade then it qualifies, though it's far too tall there for my liking, the knife should be lower than the blade and the blade guard should be mounted not to the knife but in another way so it doesn't get in the way. I forget the proper english name for it.

Anyone have this saw, it's been updated from a few years ago so I am interested in the more modern saw.

On their new site I found this;
http://***********************/accessor ... ge-30.html

Cabinet saw, specs says 268kg, given that I just don't see how this one can be 275kg. Which makes me wonder about the 3HP engine claim as well. Never seen a contractor style saw with anything but a 1 1/2 HP engine when I've been looking around. Or maybe I am overlooking something?

That knife doesn't look to me like it rises and falls with the blade, and the machine looks like 100kg max unless the red box is filled with lead.

It is a wonder Woodford can get anything sold, with this bad handling of information, it's such a challenge to get the information I want. I practically have to drag it out with forceps it feels like. And why tell me it has a riving knife when I ask, if it does not? Is the difference between a splitter and riving knife not clear to all?

Yet they have a very good reputation despite all this. I would really like a 3HP contractor style saw like their pictures show (+dado, if I ever want it, nice to have the option lets not start a debate about it). But given all the inconsistencies it's really hard to trust what I am being told.

Great, Roy cleared up the confusing information, it's approx 130kg and the engine is indeed 3HP, the splitter is indeed a splitter. Does anyone know how hard or even if it's possible to fit a riving knife to the saw?

Turns out this saw does not have a riving knife, only a splitter. I am wondering if anyone has fitted their own riving knife onto this saw?

The splitter is gonna get in the way a lot when cutting grooves and stuff. Nevermind using sleds.

Hi everyone

Please thanks to all for the amazing information and tips found in here, really cool.
Following this post I was trying to get hold of Roy at Woodfordtooling as I was or better I am still about to make a decision about his cabinet saw and the itech 01332 (SIP01332). I am not getting anywhere, I still waiting for price and delivery cost to really decide which way to go. Can anyone give me that extra push to decide among the both? The debate I am having internally is between my wallet and the quality of item and service if something goes wrong. So far the scott&sargent is a shop, they did reply to my queries the machine looks fantastic but the price is on my limit. Woodford in the other hand I am not getting much lack with the communication, I don't know the price and what if something goes wrong??? If I am having this experience to actually buy something out of him what will be if I need to get something sorted???

Any views will be more than welcome

Thanks Marcos

The price quoted to me was £699 and shipping to Finland is pretty steep at £195.

Add on:
For me pros are that it's a lighter contractor style saw and that it has a 5/8" arbor so I can purchase blades from america for cheaper than the local stores (lousy selection, lousy prices), also dado capacity (possibly unique), and a 3HP engine which is also unusual on a saw this size, but welcome if you want to use a dado. I think it might even be unsafe to try that with a 1.5HP engine

And I've not heard any bad things about their saws, they seem to be held in high regard quality wise, even if their CS is not on the same level. I used email to contact roy and it might take some prodding but he answers eventually.

MGMenager":1bv1ugfa said:
Thanks for the info. Did you get the saw at the end? How is it?

Bit of info will be appreciated

I've not bought it it but I am strongly leaning towards doing so. I was seeing if I could get some people here to order stuff from Woodford and join up on the shipping, giving it until next week, Roy said he'd hold the last saw for me until then, after that they won't be getting a new shipment for a month or so.

So I'll decide next week.

Richard S":16e1n3vc said:
Marcos, check your pm

Cheers

Richard
Thanks Richard

I am awaiting some advice as after contacting Roy (and finally get around it) the table is not CE approved, bringing some insurance issues that I need to sort out. I might probably go for the clone of the SIP 01332 the iTech 01332 as the price is ok and it looks (according with what I could find online) as a good piece of equipment.
Thanks. As soon as the issue progress I will post some pics!!

Buying this saw myself, a bit disappointed they did not included a blade, for the money I figured one would have been included.

DennisCA":1ia07oqn said:
Buying this saw myself, a bit disappointed they did not included a blade, for the money I figured one would have been included.

Hi Dennis which one the xcalibur or the itech?? The itech should have a blade included as per advert:
"......The 01332 is a professional quality table saw to cope with all general workshop tasks. This saw has a large cast iron table to ensure flatness and comes complete with two cast iron extension tables and a cabinet stand. The sturdy, full-length fence with a quick-lock, micro adjustable lock ensures accuracy and for mitreing the saw has a heavy-duty cast mitre fence. Effective dust extraction is via a 100mm outlet. Supplied with a 10" (254mm) TCT Sawblade....."

Dennis CA
That doesn't look like a very good deal. You spend too much money on shipping a not very good saw to Finland from too far away.
You could get a much better secondhand cabinet saw from Sweden for that amount of money. The ferry ticket and petrol to pick it up and bring it to Finland would have costed no more than you spend on shipping this saw. Fairly new Ejca/Luna cabinet saws sell cheap in Sweden and their quality is great. They usually have a 2,2 kw three phase motor and as three phase electricity is found anywhere in Finland there is no need to mess with single phase. If necsessary spare parts can still be ordered from the manufacturer in Värnamo so buying secondhand isn't very risky.
Look at www.blocket.se and search for "cirkelsåg" or "bordssåg" or "klyvsåg".

Everyone I've talked to says it's a very good saw, what makes you say it's a bad saw? Price wise it's around what I'd pay for a contractor saw with a similar engine power and specs, even with shipping being what it is. And it takes dado blades and a 5/8 arbor means I can fit any number of american, or european blades on it using bushings.

I looked at the finnish used market and most saws that where not cheap 1 to 1.5hp junk saws where ancient and cost 1000€ usually.

I'm also a native swedish speaker and I did check blocket.se a few times but didn't see anything that jumped out at me, mostly the junk saws in the 400€ and below range that I won't be bothering with. And some of the more expensive ones like the Dewalt contractor saws uses crappy loud brush motors and strike me as really overpriced. The woodford has more powerful and quieter induction engines like on a cabinet saw, so it looks alot better for the money than anything else.

I would love to find a good used cabinet saw, that can take dado blades and 5/8" arbor so I can use the american stuff.

MGMenager":fq0lnu7g said:
DennisCA":fq0lnu7g said:

Hi Dennis which one the xcalibur or the itech?? The itech should have a blade included as per advert:
"......The 01332 is a professional quality table saw to cope with all general workshop tasks. This saw has a large cast iron table to ensure flatness and comes complete with two cast iron extension tables and a cabinet stand. The sturdy, full-length fence with a quick-lock, micro adjustable lock ensures accuracy and for mitreing the saw has a heavy-duty cast mitre fence. Effective dust extraction is via a 100mm outlet. Supplied with a 10" (254mm) TCT Sawblade....."

xcalibur, I have no interest in the itech. What I read about it on this forum was also negative.

DennisCA":3gj9xwt9 said:
Everyone I've talked to says it's a very good saw, what makes you say it's a bad saw? Price wise it's around what I'd pay for a contractor saw with a similar engine power and specs, even with shipping being what it is. And it takes dado blades and a 5/8 arbor means I can fit any number of american, or european blades on it using bushings.

I looked at the finnish used market and most saws that where not cheap 1 to 1.5hp junk saws where ancient and cost 1000€ usually.

I'm also a native swedish speaker and I did check blocket.se a few times but didn't see anything that jumped out at me, mostly the junk saws in the 400€ and below range that I won't be bothering with. And some of the more expensive ones like the Dewalt contractor saws uses crappy loud brush motors and strike me as really overpriced. The woodford has more powerful and quieter induction engines like on a cabinet saw, so it looks alot better for the money than anything else.

I would love to find a good used cabinet saw, that can take dado blades and 5/8" arbor so I can use the american stuff.

What makes me say it's a bad saw is that you could get a much better one for that amouint of money. You will end up paying well over 1000 euros for it all included ans still you have a saw that cannot rip a 2 inch board without a lot of fiddling and the risk of burning out the motor. If the Woodford costed you 500 euros it would indeed be a very good saw.

The Finnish secondhand market has gone totally overboard with expensive scrap machinery but when looking around for a while one may still find a good saw amongst all worn out junk sold for over 1000 euros.
-For instance I know about a very solid cast iron built Griggio table saw/ spindle moulder with a small sliding table on it. It is for sale locally right now though not advertised on the net. It is partly disassembled but all important parts were there in good condition when I dug through the shop looking for some parts for another machine that I was interrested in. You could probable get it for 600 euros or thereabout plus the cost for a couple of parts and new cables and a new switch so let's say 1000 euro would be an expected total cost plus some work. Tell me if you are interrested. Then you could run any profiles you need using the spindle moulder instead of a dado blade setup.
-I have also seen several elderly cast iron saws made by Manko or Wadkin Bursgreen or Waco go for between 500 and 800 euros. Most have been in need of some minor repairs.
-If you look for a compact cabinet saw that would take up no more room than the one you are looking at there is little on the Finnish market but a lot in Sweden. I found an Ejca L18 cabinet saw in great condition for 400 euros here in Österbotten. My cousin bought it. That is a great hobbyist's saw. Ejca L18 and L20 are essentially the same. They were also sold under the Luna brand. The table and motor suspension is all cast iron and the cabinet is made from thick sheet metal. That was a rare find in Finland but they regularly turn up on blocket for roundabout 5000 kronor. I have even seen Stenberg cabinet saws sell for that prize in Sweden. Stenberg is the Rolls Royce of compact cabinet saws with cast iron cabinet.

All theese machines have induction motors of cause. What I do not understand is why you prefere a single phase induction motor over a much superrior three phase induction motor. The internet is full of people advocating the single phase alternative but that is because they live in countries where three phase power isn't supplied except to industries. We have three phase power in our country so why not use it?

A 5/8 arbour is 15 mm in diametre. That isn't much. The americans tend to prefere small underpowered single phase saws because they do not have access to enough electricity to power anything bigger. European three phase saws have a correspondingly larger arbour to handle the greater torque from a better motor. Both the table saws I have in use have 25 mm arbours and have 3 and 3,7 kW motors respectively. The saw I am currently rebuilding for serious rip sawing has a 39 mm arbour and a 7,5 kW three phase motor. That saw costed me 20 euros secondhand plus rebuild costs. I think the total cost will end up a little below 1000 euros.

I think you are in too much of a hurry..... but theese are just my personal oppinions. Feel free to do what YOU think is right.

Back