Woodex SUNDAY 23rd APRIL **LOTS of PICTURES ADDED**

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not a woodturner and it was a complete waste of time for me. Bought a few extraction pipes from Charnwood and ordered a mitre rail from Kreg. Spoke to the people on one of the stands and they were asking people how they were enjoying the show - got lots of negative comments

Hi Paul Chapman as you are going too, I will try to get that carving tool finished for you ( fingers crossed :-k ) :)

I went along to Woodex today, primarily to meet up with any other Forum members who happened to be there. I met Neil, Tony, Steve, Dave L and Colin C and want to say a big thank you to them for making me feel so welcome.

I also want to say a big thank you to Colin C (who is an antiques restorer) for giving me one of his hand made carving tools. It's really is cool 8) 8) and I hope he will post some pictures soon to show how he makes them.

It was also nice to meet Mike Hudson of Clico again and have another play with the prototype Clifton low angle block plane. I really hope they will have this in production before too long. It's a real cracker with its wood and metal lever cap. Very tactile 8) When it is available it will be my block plane of choice.

Bought a few goodies. A Clifton burnisher, a Veritas cabinet scraper, some Veritas set-up blocks and some Trend toggle clamps. Hopefully will be able to smuggle them in without the wife seeing :-$ 8-[

While the show itself was, as others have said, a little disappointing I had a very nice day and met some very nice Forum people.

Paul

Hi all

As Paul has posted, it was really good to meet up with all of the other members, that was the real highlight of my day. I was also proud to be present when Tony and Dave joined the BOC. :lol:

Funniest moment, happened just before 12, when SteveM shook somebody's hand and said I recognise you as one of us. He wasn't!!

It was a poorly attended show and I came away feeling robbed that the organisers actually had the gall to charge us an entrance fee.

Apologies to Chris, minus his bandana, who was busy when I passed through and then I forgot to go back to say hello. :roll:

Cheers
Neil

PS You'll have to ask Tony or Dave for an explanation of BOC.

Newbie_Neil":oyha8y6j said:
...snip...
It was a poorly attended show and I came away feeling robbed that the organisers actually had the gall to charge us an entrance fee....snip..

Glad that I'm not the only one with that sentiment, thought I was being too negative and moderated my own post rather than discourage others.

Bessey Owners Club!!!

I'll bet there are some shocked members out there :lol:

Well, it was only a band clamp for some picture frames I need to make

I still think that the K bodies are too expesnive and after a good look today, they off no advantages over my sash cramps that would make me buy them :wink:

I was quite suprised at the uniklamps and want to say thanks to everyone who talked me out of buying some - far too flimsy IMO

Lovely to meet Paul and Chris for the first time and see Dave, Neil and Steve again - thanks for the lift Neil.

It was the poeple that made it a good day, not the show itself

I bought a couple of things, Bessey band clamp, Miller dowl set, Bench pup, some nice dividers for DT layout.

Well is was poorly supported by the stands and the crowds may of stayed away, but it was great to meet up with old friends (sorry Neil) and new. :D
Here is Colin C
Dscn4282s.jpg

and Paul Chapman
Dscn4283s.jpg

Sorry Paul, your picture is a bit fuzzy, but I did get Tony to take them while I finished my steak & kidney pie. :roll:

There was a definite lack of stands, I did not have a list of things to buy like Tony. If you where into round spinny things there was a good selection of stuff, but for us flat boarders it was thin on the ground.
I took a few pictures of some of the work on display, is what I liked so you won't get a balanced view sorry. :whistle:
Dscn4284s.jpg

Dscn4286s.jpg

Dscn4288s.jpg

Dscn4290s.jpg

Dscn4294s.jpg

Dscn4295s.jpg

Dscn4299s.jpg

Dscn4300s.jpg

If you have seen some of the things I have made you will know that I love making toys for the grandchildren, how about this?
Dscn4306s.jpg

Dscn4307s.jpg

No I did not buy it, and he was not selling the plans but I know of several little people who would love one of those. \:D/

So what did I buy?

2 books, The Conversion & Seasoning of Wood and Building Cabinet Doors & Drawers
A bottle of Titebond III
And to join the BOC a Bessey BAN700 Band clamp, I have at least one picture frame to make.

If I could of found one I would of bought a 1/2" gouge, not for me of course but a friend but there was not to be had. #-o

Thanks to all that was there as you all made me feel very welcome :)
Paul you can stop now as you will make me blush ( :oops: to late :wink: )
I have to agree that the show was very poor for what they where charging to get in :shock: ( my friend and I thought the same of Ally pally compared to show before ).
Thanks again :D

I almost forgot #-o
I bought a chip collecter ( at last \:D/ )
Some spirit stains ( which come to think of it will be used on a job tomorrow )
and some fretsaw blades :) plus a booklet on sharping turning tool from Reg Slack

Hi Chas

Newbie_Neil":341cd4bv said:
...snip...
It was a poorly attended show and I came away feeling robbed that the organisers actually had the gall to charge us an entrance fee....snip..

CHJ":341cd4bv said:
Glad that I'm not the only one with that sentiment, thought I was being too negative and moderated my own post rather than discourage others.

Thanks for that. As the show had finished I felt I could say what I felt.

As soon as you entered the hall, the lack of stands became apparent. It was a real shame as now I can't see this show surviving.

Cheers
Neil

Tony bought a Bessey clamp?! In the same week (fornight?) as buying a 'Rat?! Well that clinches it. Aliens must have taken him away in their spaceship and brainwashed him. It's a Government Conspiracy, that's what it is. 8-[ :lol:

Sorry to hear yet another show has failed to hit the spot. :( Still, nice to see a forum get-together - 'bout the only reason to go these days, it seems. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3e4h2y2l said:
Tony bought a Bessey clamp?! In the same week (fornight?) as buying a 'Rat?!

The Dr has suggested plenty of bed rest and has reduced the pain killer dosage :wink: :lol:

I'm glad I didn't go now. You lot don't want to know how I spent my money instead and all the bargains I bought :D !

Some time ago I mentioned a Murrican concept of picnics. This is where woodworkers gather together with their tools and demonstrate them to other woodworkers. It's not exactly a 'show', although you do find some retailers there; more an opportunity to compare tools and techniques.

It may be that many of us have workshops and skills beyond those which conventional woodwork shows can cater for, so we're more likely to find woodwork shows a disappointment. I'm wondering if we couldn't overcome this by putting together a picnic of our own, possibly with a barbecue thrown in? It would be a great social event and we'd get a chance to see demonstrations of tools we don't own, possibly even using them ourselves if the owner is willing.

Gill

Gill":2gvx3yld said:
...snip...to compare tools and techniques.

It may be that many of us have workshops and skills beyond those which conventional woodwork shows can cater for, so we're more likely to find woodwork shows a disappointment. I'm wondering if we couldn't overcome this by putting together a picnic of our own, possibly with a barbecue thrown in? It would be a great social event and we'd get a chance to see demonstrations of tools we don't own, possibly even using them ourselves if the owner is willing.

Gill

Great Idea Gill, main problem is going to be sorting a time never mind the place, not trying to be negative at the start but several members are out of town due to work at times and some of us Recycled Teenagers are apt to be out of country for a month at a time.

Seem to remember that a member last year posted a picture of his work space that resembled a hangar which could house a meet.

As long as it is not organized as an outdoor barbeque in November as some of my ex Southern State colleagues were want to do and then wonder why nobody turned up.

Another paid up BOC member here. They are quite substantial those K-body clamps, aren't they :shock: :D

Ended up buying a set of 1m ones for quite a reasonable price. Only just fitted them in the boot of the car! (Not that one <----- I hasten to add) :)

Jim

Meant to post before but kepot forgetting.
Managed to get a day pass from SWMBO for the Saturday and went along dragging the two boys with me.

I have to agree with everybody else in that the attendance was very obviously down on last year and there were some big gaps in between the stalls.

It was very heavily carving and woodturning both of which I'm into. I must say that I did enjoy the day. There were some excellent pieces on display although I didn't try to see which wheelbarrows had been added since last year.

Bought a few things:

Veritas fine adjustable marking guage
Veritas jointer fence
Sorby Deluxe Sharpening system
1/2" Stebcentre
6000 grit waterstone and nagura stone
Book on Chip Carving (forgotten who by but a famous 'murrican chap)
One of Ian Norbury's books on carving
Anti-slash glove (want to try my hand at chip carving with knives, and with my record)
Spirit Stain sample pack.
Couple of small clock inserts (Tristan wants to have a go at clock making)
Ashley Isles back-bent gouge

Oh and the bevel-up jointer to go with the fence. :)

Did have a bit of an accident with the yellow spirit stain later. :oops: It's amazing just how much coverage you get out of those little bottles. :?

Back