Woodex SUNDAY 23rd APRIL **LOTS of PICTURES ADDED**

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colin C

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Just wanted to know as I will be going myself and would like to meet some of you :) , I would like to put a face to some of the names

Hi Colin

Tony, Steve Maskery and myself will be there.

Can I suggest that we meet at the Brimarc stand at 12? Chestnut don't have their own stand.

Cheers
Neil

Hmm Difficult one, Grand Prix running on Sunday so will probably be going on Friday but will look out for familiar faces :)

Chestnut not having a stand at Woodex?

Dennis

Jorden":27rxr5kg said:
Hmm Difficult one, Grand Prix running on Sunday so will probably be going on Friday but will look out for familiar faces :)
Friday for me also, as I have to pass the venue anyway on the Foss way.

Jorden":27rxr5kg said:
Chestnut not having a stand at Woodex?

See this Thread.

JimNoble":1fh2uy07 said:
What are the odds on being able to buy some Bessey clamps for reasonable money there, on Sunday?

Jim

I would suggest very low :wink:

I think DaveL is coming along on Sunday too :)

Tony":140sao9g said:
JimNoble":140sao9g said:
What are the odds on being able to buy some Bessey clamps for reasonable money there, on Sunday?
Jim

Dang :(

Is that because they'd all be sold by then, or because nobody will be selling them, or because it would be an expensive place to buy them...?

In general are the shows a good place to buy stuff?

Jim

JimNoble":wx8vkd47 said:
Tony":wx8vkd47 said:
JimNoble":wx8vkd47 said:
Jim

Dang :(

Is that because they'd all be sold by then, or because nobody will be selling them, or because it would be an expensive place to buy them...?

In general are the shows a good place to buy stuff?

Jim

Only a guess - based upon the high price of Besseys and past posts on here. Possibly an erroneous guess :wink:

Tony":1t7zo6a6 said:
Only a guess - based upon the high price of Besseys and past posts on here. Possibly an erroneous guess :wink:

Saw in the other thread that Bessey have been there in the past on the Price Tools stand - their price on the clamps seems reasonable. Anyone know if they (or similar exhibitors) are likely to have stock there?

Hmm, actually maybe I'll ping them an email! :)

Jim

I shall be missing this show for the first time in many years. For one thing, I've got company popping over to stay for the weekend and we've planned a mammoth shopping spree in Brum :D . Nevertheless, I don't think I'd be going to Woodex anyway. The exhibition has dwindled over the years to the point where there's simply nothing there to attract me any more.

So I'll be spending my money on shoes and clothes instead of saws and clamps. My friends will be astonished when they find out!

Gill

Tony":cwppnkit said:
I think DaveL is coming along on Sunday too :)

I have a ticket, I just hope the system I help manager at work doesn't go in to melt down as I am duty manager. [-o<
So not only will I have my clogs on but the blue tooth headset will be present as well. :?

Hi Dave

DaveL":1xuxu9af said:
I have a ticket, I just hope the system I help manager at work doesn't go in to melt down as I am duty manager. [-o<
So not only will I have my clogs on but the blue tooth headset will be present as well. :?

Hope you can make it.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Jim

JimNoble":3r42vr99 said:
Anyone know if they (or similar exhibitors) are likely to have stock there?

If it's the same format as previous years, Bessey will be on the Price Tools stand with the usual Bessey offer prices.

If you want to buy them at the exhibition then I suggest that you do a search here for the best prices and print them out for the show. I also tried DIYTOOLS.CO.UK but they appear not to sell them now.

At the show Price Tools have matched the Xpress price for me, albeit somewhat unwillingly.

I would recommend that you use the show to touch and feel the products in which you are interested.

Enjoy
Neil

I just got back from Woodex06 carrying a selection of cheap clamps and glues plus a very nice Pax 8" dovetail saw. I was able to compare the British and Japanese styles on the stand and decided the Pax was more suited to my way of working.

If it's the same format as previous years, Bessey will be on the Price Tools stand with the usual Bessey offer prices.

The Besseys are on the Price Tools stand as usual Neil :)

Maybe it's because I went on a Friday rather than my more usual Sunday, but I didn't think there were so many people there, certainly there wern't so many exhibitors. Chatting to the sales staff it seems they are selling enough to make the show worthwhile - I watched one chap loading a tablesaw, morticer and a bandsaw into his car, so deals are being made.

The emphisis of the show seemed to be on turning and carving with the woodturning clubs out in force and the usual suspects - Turners Retreat, Ashley Iles, Brimark, etc. doing good business.

Enjoy Sunday :)

Dennis

Don't get too excited. Craft and club exhibits were the high percentage of the floor space and far better represented than at a lot of bigger venues I have attended, Ok for a browse for ideas and comparison of technique, standards, chat with the club members etc. but the Trade stand representation in my opinion was bellow par. Compared with a Yandles free to enter open day many of what few companies were there had only a fraction of their product ranges on display.

May post more when I've had time to edit my first thoughts on the days experience.

I was planning on going tomorrow (Saturday), any reason why Sunday would be better? Do prices come down on Sunday?

The last is day is some times the best day for a bargin as they dont want to pack stuff up and can be nugged into a better price, not that I have done it myself :whistle: \:D/

OK, the rest of my impressions at first draft were rather negative but having given them a second thought I have calmed my personal comments down to relate just a couple of incidents that on reflection were more amusing than anything else, (there by the grace of you know who, go we all)

Negative:
Several professional turning demonstrators had collected small audiences and several club members were demonstrating their skills but we saw two turners have items come spectacularly adrift from the chuck through tool catches and I saw one sporting name emblazoned protective wear get his tool thrown back at him from an encounter with the chuck from inattention to what he was doing. I know the show had only been open less than an hour and people had not settled down but even so…..

Also in this category, Jumping ahead to Show Leaving time, we drove round to the exhibitors vehicle park to collect a purchase only to find that the distributor of purchases had locked all his keys in the back of the box van, an amusing hour ensued whilst we watched him try to butcher, the for once good padlock, off the shutter and then I joined in to help the attending RAC Van Man, to disassemble the said lock with his limited tools. Much to the relief of the company sales guys inside who were having to temper their sales technique with the knowledge that they could not actually get at their stock.

Positive:
As said before craft, predominantly turning exhibits and marquetry was more in abundance than at many shows.
The standard in the young person’s woodwork competition was good, when I think back to my school age woodwork efforts I probable was there by 15 but at 7-8 years no way.

Did purchase some “with character” wood blanks (Surprise Surprise) from a couple of sellers both of which were very accommodating and helpful.
One in particular by the name of Chris Barker (sharing Charnwood stand) was all that one would wish in a young entrepreneur and hopefully we have talked him into making himself known at UKW after the show finishes.

Not a wasted day as we had to drive past the entrance this morning and a small show discount caused the plastic to exercise itself in the name of bandsaw / thicknesser waste control, next year? I think we will just stick to Yandles et-al.

Hope to be there on Sunday, mainly to meet up with those of you who will be there, and put some faces to names. Hope to see you at the Brimarc stand at 12 as Neil suggested.

Paul

Latest posts

Back