WOODEX ‘05 22 - 24 April 05 - Warwickshire Exhibition Centre

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to Good Timber today, picking up some nice utili and sycamore :). First, however, I went to Woodex. Here's some piccies of exhibits that I particularly liked:

Owl.jpg

Eagle.jpg

Chess.jpg

Bounty.jpg

Barrows.jpg

The wheelbarrows are all made of a different type of timber

Finally, a gloat :tool: . It should be with me in a couple of weeks :

Kity419.jpg

:) :) :)

Gill

Hi Chris

The wheelbarrows are a display they seem to have every year. Each one is made of a different type of wood. I suppose that in theory they could be used for reference, but the display isn't terribly practical. It's quite imposing, though.

Gill

Gosh, love the chessboard. Hope my bro doesn't see that; he's already on at me all the time about making him a chess set. :roll: The wheelbarrows are somehow appealing; dunno why, but I like 'em. Probably the usual appeal of miniatures. 10 to 1 the Bounty didn't look that tidy at Pitcairn, but that's beside the point I suppose :oops: :lol: And finally commiserations on your purchase of a table saw. <sigh> :wink: Enjoy it. :D

Cheers, Alf

Unfortunately, my photographic skills don't do any of the pieces justice :oops: :( . The 'Bounty' picture might not look particularly impressive until you notice the size of the holes in the pegboard it's hanging from. The photograph actually enlarges the original quite significantly. Imagine cutting all those shrouds - sheesh :eek: !

It was fantastic to see so many inspirational and original carvings plus intarsia and scrollwork. Just what I like :) ! Here are some more examples:

Dudley.jpg

This might ring bells with Chris! The work of Dudley College students.

Dwarves.jpg

Wheel.jpg

The wheel is mechanised and rotates.

Gill

Fantastic pictures, Gill, showing some brilliant work.

I have seen the wheelbarrows exhibition on a number of occasions, and each time it has grown! They are all made by one man. Chatted to him last year when he told me each 'barrow takes about 8 hours to make. When I asked him if his collection of wood species was nearly finished he explained, "No, I've probably got as many again to make yet!" :shock: :roll: :roll:

There are several hundred in his collection - imagine spending you life making miniature wheelbarrows. :? 'Tis an impressive collection, though. Wonder how much his pitch cost?

Cheers,

Trev.

DaveL":1qpq9j5c said:
Tony, Bean,

I think I will be going to this on Sunday instead of Good Timber on Saturday.
I have just bought 4 nice planks of sycamore from an advert in GWW so the need for more timber is reduced for a while. 8)

So If I don't bump into you before 12, I will se you at Terry's Stand. :D

Be great to see you again Dave :D

Gill

Hope you had a good time at Good Timber and the show - impressive photos.

Well done on the saw - great choice :wink: Did you get the sliding table too? Works really well.

maybe we should start a Kity 419 owners branch of the forum now there are 5 of us? :lol:

Hi Tony

Yup, the saw comes 'as seen' in the photo, complete with the sliding extension and the extension table on the right hand side. Cast iron table, induction motor, accurate fence and the ability to cut veneers using its standard blade. How could I resist? Then the demonstrator cut a veneer for me that was thinner than the stuff I'd normally use for marquetry and I had to look very close to see saw marks! Out came my flexible friend... :)

Never mind a Kity 419 owner's club - what about the rest of the range? I've already got a Kity planer/thicknesser and a Kity bandsaw. You could say I'm a bit of a Kity fan :) .

Now, what do I do with my soon-to-be-redundant-but-still-functional Draper table saw :? :?:

Gill

Gill,

Nice pictures and a good purchase. That's the problem with going to shows the purchasing slope seems to get extra slippy.

I was wondering whether to spare the time to go this weekend nut now I think I will.

Gav

gill have you got a good supply of cat food for all your kitys :lol: :lol: and what to do with your old t/saw use it as a door stop, use it as a hop up ,im sure it will come in handy even if you never use it :wink:

Hi all

For those who are going today, Sunday, I am looking forward to meeting you all at 12 at Chestnut Products.

Remember the password is Terry. :lol:

Cheers
Neil

Hi all

It was good to meet up with everyone today and put faces to the names.

In attendance were Jorden, Tony, DaveL, Keith Smith, Steve Maskerry, Andy King, Houtslager, Badger, Terry (Chestnut), Martin (Brimarc), Chris and I'm sure that I've forgotten somebody (my apologies).

Hope you all got home safely.

Cheers
Neil

The problem with these shows is you don't get enough time to talk to everyone. Sorry I didn't get to sit and chat but by the time I had had a word with Terry all the seats were gone. Still I managed to talk Steve into into a purchase and then didn't get commission :lol:

There were some rather nice Sjoberg benches going at a good price did someone bag one?

As for me I just bought a few bits and pieces, Bessy clamps, glue etc. but Judith managed to track down the only gardening tool in the show, which she had to have of course :roll: .

Keith

Keith Smith":3fdlalbg said:
There were some rather nice Sjoberg benches going at a good price did someone bag one?

Keith

Yep ,but not me!

I was chuffed with a small (80mm) Metabo ROS/detail sander for £79. Came with a huge bag containing 60 packs of sanding discs (mixed grades in packs of 10 and 24, about 750 discs in all) and a spare head for the unit 8)

Fantastic to meet you all there for the first time, hope to see you at the next show :wink:

Gill, nice photos and nice purchase. I have not regretted buyng one although with the sliding carriage and extension tables fitted it just about fills my workshop.

I suggest, unless you have done so already, think about a mobile base of some sort - I have the axminster one made with oak which is adequate although I frequently knock my ankles on the lever.
Andy

Good to say 'hello' to a few faces from the forum, hope you enjoyed the show!
There's a serious Festool gloat lacking here though!
Surely someone in the know needs to post it if only to keep Philly on his toes!
:D
Andy

Back