Dutch tool chest hinges?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr edd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

First post etc so please forgive ignorance if i'm repeating,

Quick question, leafing through a mate's pop woodworking mag saw Mr Schwarz doing the Dutch tool chest thing. Thought that looks likes fun and my non site tools are getting bashed about.

I had some sawn red wood kicking about yay = started tool chest Friday evening, come Sunday evening thought hmmmm ........hinges..

Anyone know if there is a supplier in the UK or do i need to go the bespoke blacksmith route?

Case example of, really should have thought that out before cracking on?

Any suggestions gratefully received

Cheers

Edd

Are you going for traditional 'looks like it was made 100 years ago' or traditional 'it's a tool chest I'll use whatever's easiest to get that works'?

Thanks for reply mikebeetle will check those out.

Re stopping the lid I have some thin sash cord left over from a little job and thought to make a couple of U shaped brackets from hardwood to screw on and stop the lid flipping over the back

Hi Mathew
was hoping to find something that looked a bit more quality than the stamped out and painted black that most of the hardware and builders merchants around here stock some their hardware is terribly made.
It is after all just storage device but if I can make it look nice so much the better so maybe leaning towards the 'looks like it was made 100 yrs ago' route.

Cheers
Edd

mr edd":2u8judkc said:
Hi all

I had some sawn red wood kicking about yay = started tool chest Friday evening, come Sunday evening thought hmmmm ........hinges..

Anyone know if there is a supplier in the UK or do i need to go the bespoke blacksmith route?

Case example of, really should have thought that out before cracking on?

Any suggestions gratefully received

Cheers

Edd

I can't give you a source of hinges in the UK but if you are willing to pursue the possibility of shipping from the USA, you can get decent looking (although made in India so coming to you the long way around) hinges. A very good chance that with a little research, you could find the equivalent in the UK.

At the time I organized an order, I was not able to get all three components in the same finish but because of stocking issues, was unable. Here are the numbers I used :

VanDyke Restorers -- http://www.vandykes.com/
02034796 -- heart-shape iron strap hinge
0202243 -- trunk lift handle
02022426 -- hasp

All in, less than $80US.

FYI, for the hinges, I de-rusted them using a product called EvapoRust (again, not sure of its international availability) but because it works via chelation, the end result for iron is a layer of dark black oxide. So on the whole, a nice look a reasonable match to the handles and hasp.

Maybe this helps, at least you have some pictures to compare and feed to Google Image search.

Rob

Not the greatest photos, but you can sort of see the hinge vs. the hasp in this one:
10639562203_b971802ce8_o.jpg

And another shot where you can see a bit of the hinge:
12112138776_37c604344a_b.jpg

Here's a second shot of the heart-shape strap hinge in use on a 6-board chest (apologies for funny color shift, never bothered to do a color correction)
15101842705_c6b6ba2d8c_b.jpg

hi all

Thank you very much to all those who replied.

I now have some new options to explore and will have the lid on asap.

Forgot to cover it today routing some architraves for work tomorrow, I now have a very nice Dutch shavings container with some tools at the bottom. Sooner hinges better than later me thinks!!!!

Cheers Edd

ps rwyoung nice chest looks good. I want some spiderman plasters!! although short sighted man would be more appropriate for me.

mr edd":2soujxqy said:
...I want some spiderman plasters!! although short sighted man would be more appropriate for me.
You mean Mr McGoo? With a name like Mr Edd, I've have thought My Little Pony plasters would be more appropriate. :mrgreen:

I'm assuming you had Mr Ed (the talking horse) and My Little Pony television series over there?

Cheers, Vann.

hi Vann

Yes I am aware of both. :lol:

Darn, that's what's been holding me back........its the lack of opposable thumbs, luckily the 'every eventuality covered tool co' are soon coming out with a range of hoof operated bench planes. yay or should that be neigh?

Cheers Edd

mr edd":1e8bpuln said:
hi all

Thank you very much to all those who replied.

I now have some new options to explore and will have the lid on asap.

Forgot to cover it today routing some architraves for work tomorrow, I now have a very nice Dutch shavings container with some tools at the bottom. Sooner hinges better than later me thinks!!!!

Cheers Edd

ps rwyoung nice chest looks good. I want some spiderman plasters!! although short sighted man would be more appropriate for me.

Thank you.

The bandages and bottle of Ibuprofen (Vitamin I) were from when my local woodworking guild (Kansas City Woodworkers' Guild) hosted Chris Schwarz for a weekend of building the Dutch Tool chests.

The Spiderman bandages were for if participants did something epic. The Hello Kitty were if it wasn't epic. And the Vitamin I was just in case.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodw ... -guild-wow

Rob

Hi Rob,

Unfortunately as the only first aider at both joinery shops I worked at I have had to deal with a couple of 'EPICS' as I will now refer to them. Not good.

But i like the incentive not to be a Hello Kitty wearer!

Wow that is a shop and a half!!!!!!!

Thanks again for your help

Cheers Edd

Back