wooden window frame joinery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RobinBHM":ir62m9gl said:
I've removed lots of old windows in the past and the redwood pulley stiles, jambs, etc would be in good nick and only the oak cills rotted away, having lost all their paint

Wouldnt that be because a cill is the horizontal part of a window and there most inclined to be savaged by rain and sun?

Also many windows that were set directly on stone cill with no drip overhang. Water collects and the cill rots. A very common
Problem with box sash windows.

The high tannin / extractives content gives oak a high durability, for the same reason as cedar, iroko etc.
I wanted to click the thank button 3 times but could only do it once. So, thanks and thanks :lol:

Horizontal surfaces are always the first to fail. 5 + years ago I made an oak fence for my parents house. I osmo'd it and it looked pukka for a couple years. The capping pieces have completely lost all finish now, while the majority of the upright pickets still have 60ish% finish remaining. I've told them it'll look better to let it weather naturally :lol:

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Some timbers are rot resistant - when permanently wet, but rot readily when wet and dry intermittently. I pass two oak gateposts I put in 42 years ago that are still sound. The first thing I did was to soak the bottom ends in engine oil and then after fitting them cap them with alloy sheet - that's half the battle with oak, stopping the ingress of water and rot in the endgrain.

phil.p":6sdfyjks said:
My neighbour owned his own joinery for years and then took the easy money and became a college lecturer - he always rated idigbo for windows. My mother had all her joinery (windows, floors, skirting, doors, stairs, everything) done in iroko - the main problem was with the meeting rails. If they bowed together they clashed when the window was closed or even prevented the windows closing properly, if in opposite directions they let in the wind (and west facing, two miles from the north Cornish coast that was not good. All the large section stuff was stable, though.
I stopped using iroko for the same reason- unpredictable movement.....& it's just nasty horrible itchy cough inducing stuff. Sapele or utile in comparison is bliss.
Here's a few oak windows that just needed the ironmongery putting back on
aaaa31beeea9d17801665cc34b942db2.jpg
have to friggin remake them now cause Jacob said so :lol:

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back