Wooden Toy Train

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjm699

Established Member
Reaction score
As ever I never take anough pictures of the job in process - this was my first attempt at anything in hard-wood.
From Les Neufeld's book of "Toys that teach" (APTC and others supply) I chose this as each part is small and you can happily mess each bit up a couple of times without ruining the whole thing or costing too much.

5817814302_53b52271b2.jpg

The Bubinga for the cab I had as a 3" turning stave and sawed it to 5mm (ish) pieces for the cab and then planed them down using a piece of 3mm ply as a bench stop
Frame from a yellowy wood (I bought a box of bits from a retiring wood worker)

5817244279_7295f12da2.jpg

Pink Ivory button - off cut from a turned pen
Muhuhu rear wheels from a stave bought specially with the contrasting coluors to look like the counterweights on the wheels
Funnel and dome out of something that came in the box - no idea, it is vey dark and very dense - the camera flash bleaches it a bit
Front wheels out of something or other out of the same box - same as the frame
Purpleheart for the cylinders and boiler - beautiful colour!

5817811192_e3fa1c7898.jpg

Cow catcher and footplates from the same wood as the funnel - can anyone tell me what it is?
I bottled out of make in the axle pegs myself, not enough turning experience yet!

Hope you like it - and if anyone is starting out, I highly recommend this project, you can have lots of disasters and no one will ever know!

I also made some rolling stock to go with it - adapting Les' design to make it a bit easier for batching -

5817814854_e2b184111c.jpg

5817247053_f0ffdfd1de.jpg

I think that should be enough for any child to play with for a while!

I hope you enjoyed, P

Lovely work P and the best use of Purpleheart I've ever seen! :)

Delivering work to satisfied customers is always nice but when your creations are well received by your kids it is something special since they'll never mince their words and you've hopefully made something that they'll be giving to their kids and beyond!

With my 'What are you playing with now?' type daddy hat on how big are the wooden marbles? Could be dangerous for youngsters!

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve

Yup, marbles were 25mm and only for me to play with (well you have to make sure it all works) and are still in the workshop (waiting for that time when they come in useful!) I found some longer pieces of dowel etc. when I gave the set to my niece.

Lovely job P! I love trains so this is right up my track!!! Also, it shows more than just turning skills, a good combi of flat and round stuff here, nice work!

cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back