Wooden plane for xmas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molynoox

Established Member
Reaction score
My sister bought me an old wooden hand plane, thought it was a pretty cool present
1703888378951.png

IMG_20231224_140920.jpg

IMG_20231224_140908.jpg

IMG_20231224_140931.jpg

It actually worked pretty well straight out of the box, although I must admit I have no idea how to set it up!

IMG_20231224_141206.jpg

Nice.
Looks clean enough!
Sharpen blade if required and use.
Blade can be adjusted with a pin hammer on the blade and wedge.

My sister bought me an old wooden hand plane, thought it was a pretty cool present
View attachment 172859
View attachment 172860
View attachment 172861
View attachment 172862

It actually worked pretty well straight out of the box, although I must admit I have no idea how to set it up!

View attachment 172863
Looks like a nice smoother. I have to admit that for more than half my woodworking life I avoided them as setting them up just looked too difficult but spend a few hours practicing taking different thickness shavings and the penny will drop. They are a joy to use. These days I have as many woodies as metal planes. Great thing is that you can pick up really good old planes for not much cash. Something about the nice swish sound they make got me hooked.
How to Adjust a Wooden Hand Plane - YouTube
Regards
John

Looks to have a crack and some hammer marks at the front at the top. To loosen the iron, either use a leather or rubber mallet on the back, or turn it upside down and give it a few taps on the area where the hammer mark is on a piece of scrap pine, making sure you catch the iron and wedge. Ideally the mallet really, you don’t want that crack to get worse or it’ll be the end of it.

Back