Wooden handrail profile

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyprusbob

Reaction score
How do I recreate the profile of a wooden handrail???
I have to extend the handrail it is ovalish with a flat on the base, I need 0.9m and this is too long for my lathe as I had considered offset turning, and my largest round over bit for my router is 30 mm and I need 45 mm.
I would like any tips on jig making for this project would be much appreciated.

welcome, maybe a bigger cutter is the order of the day? you can buy handrail shaped cutters.

adidat

Why not dress it by hand. Plane too two templates, one fixed either end, and check with straight edge as you go...bosshogg :)
I never think of the future - it comes soon enough.
Albert Einstein 8)

adidat":n93300eu said:
welcome, maybe a bigger cutter is the order of the day? you can buy handrail shaped cutters.

adidat
This is a one off, I would be cheaper buying a new mahogany handrail than the cutter

Cyprusbob":118xozrd said:
I need 0.9m and this is too long for my lathe
make it in two smaller pieces (which will fit your lathe) and then make a really nice job of joining them back together. :wink:

Do it by hand. Sounds like you have no hollows so 0.9m would be dead easy.
Basically you make a pattern and draw the profile on each end of your blank, then join them up. No5 plane and a bit of sandpaper all you need. A band-saw would speed up waste removal.

PS if you are a beginner with planing (and you are or you wouldn't be asking this question) then this is a really good exercise. Ditto other shapes - make short lengths with different sections based on templates; triangular, octagonal, different sizes, tapered etc etc. Arrange them along your mantlepiece!

And then move on to do the same but curved, or twisted, or both (but don't jump the gun - work up to it). Spokeshaves required. And a bigger mantelpiece.
Then you hit hyper-space by introducing hollows. :shock:
I'm not saying that I personally have progressed far up this scale of complexity, in case anybody was wondering.

Jacob":4twaf61a said:
And then move on to do the same but curved, or twisted, or both (but don't jump the gun - work up to it). Spokeshaves required. And a bigger mantelpiece.
Then you hit hyper-space by introducing hollows. :shock:
I'm not saying that I personally have progressed far up this scale of complexity, in case anybody was wondering.

Yeh, I'm sure :wink:

Thanks for all the suggestions, I ruffed it off with the 35 mm router bit, then turned a 20mm dowl and joined it to the main rail and as the original rail was cut at an angle, I squared it up and hot glued the cut bit to the opposite end of the new piece and used the electric planer and a selections of sanders to get it to the correct profile..........

Job done, and it looks good, so I have been told.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back