Woodcraft Weekend at National Botanic Gardens, Wales

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Smart

Chestnut Products
Reaction score
Hi All

Just wanted to let everyone know about this show (more details here: http://www.gardenofwales.org.uk/news/woodcraft-weekend-2/) which we'll be attending for the first time this year.

I especially want everyone to know that KimG will be working alongside us at the show giving demonstrations and tips on his colouring techniques among other things. We're delighted that Kim has agreed to come along for us so please come along and support him. You don't even have to buy anything!

Look forward to seeing at least some of you there!

That's another venue I've never visited, will have to see what the weather and the Boss has to say about a day out that far west.
Hope the workshop is cosy for the preparations Kim.

All prepared Chas, I have 8 assorted bowls to use so hopefully one or two will look the biz afterwards! :)

I'll be going on the Sunday. I'm looking forward to it, being a novice turner I am interested to see what can be done :)

I will be there, hope the weather is better than last year, however it is all under cover in the giant glasshouse or theatre.
Good day out.

Really enjoyable first day, lots of turners visited the stand and asked about the coloured work and finishing, I coloured up two bowls with the help of three delightful children who also had a go, made a sale (always a plus!). Looking forward to day two tomorrow, if you're passing do say hello, I met two UK forum members today, alas the ancient memory has already failed, feel free to remind me! :D

Glad it went well Kim, afraid I won't be venturing down, lot of travelling already this past week and a good covering of snow and ice overnight added to the decision.

Yes Kim, one of them was me. We talked about Tagua nuts (I think!), or might have been Banksia nuts!..........could have been Peanuts!! Seriously, thanks for your advice.
Have a nice day tomorrow.
Regards, Tudor

Ah nice one thanks Tudor.

Shame you can't make it Chas, I was hoping we might get to meet up, some other venue maybe. It was absolutely treacherous this morning though, even black ice on the back road into the venue (sort of tradesman's entrance), cleared by late morning though.

Glad you enjoyed yourself Kim, you certainly had a crowd round you all day! Looking forward to day 2, thanks for all your help.

Shame we won't be seeing you Chas but I can echo what Kim says, the roads were dreadful this morning...and I only had a short journey.

KimG":1a4swj28 said:

Shame you can't make it Chas, I was hoping we might get to meet up, some other venue maybe. It was absolutely treacherous this morning though, even black ice on the back road into the venue (sort of tradesman's entrance), cleared by late morning though.

Pity the event is not repeated or at least held in a season with better prospects.
Hopefully I will make it down that way for a few days later in the year and perhaps we can meet up.
Been many years since we used to holiday west of Carmarthen.

I went today (Saturday) - the roads weren't too bad by midday, which was when I arrived. The event didn't seem as big as 2 years ago, when I last went. I talked to you, Kim, about finishing; and I bought stuff off you, Terry . In neither case did I think to mention this forum - oops, might have got a discount :) It was nice to have a chat with Les, the organiser, who taught me to turn at a course there a couple of years back. Even though it was smaller than before I really enjoyed it, and spent about 3 times the amount I'd budgeted... It's a great pity they don't put it on later in the year, when it would be less of a hostage to the weather.

I can understand CHJ's frustration with time of year this show is held and potential travelling difficulties due to inclement weather. However if you live in lovely Pembrokeshire all mainstream shows are very far away so this show is a treat.
It was nice to meet with Kim G in the flesh and see some of his awesome turnings and to also have brief conversation with Terry who instigated this thread.
Russell.

chadpics (Small).gif

Attachments

• chadpics (Small).gif
    chadpics (Small).gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 706
I can't believe you were there and never said who you were Derek! I would have been delighted to know. The High gloss is pretty resilient, you have to scratch it or ding it with something hard before it marks, so the bubble wrap is fine. So, which one were you then? Got a pic, I might at least remember then.

Latest posts

Back