Wood-turning lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saleemtaibjee

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have an opportunity to purchase a Coronet Herald lathe. I am new to wood-turning. It isn't cheap, but I get the impression that this is one of those moments when it might be worthwhile the investment. I would be grateful for views. Thanks

I bought an old arundel lathe from a chap on this forum a few months back. I'm so glad I did because it's great fun and I've been churning out projects I'm really proud of in next to no time. If the price is good and you can afford it, go for it.

The thread is different 3/4 16 tip, compared to M33 on the lathe, but I can see adaptors are available. So presumably this will work?

The thread is different 3/4 16 tip, compared to M33 on the lathe, but I can see adaptors are available. So presumably this will work?
3/4 16 is an obsolete thread size for woodturning lathes. M33 is the common thread now so why buy a chuck with an obsolete thread and buy a converter. Buy any chuck with the correct thread. Most chucks will work fine the only difference will be the available jaws available as jaws usually only fit that brand chuck with the exception of Record Power and Nova chucks which take each others jaws

Seconding akirk above, neat little lathe, heavy and has a feel of robustness about it. Knowing what I know about them I'd have no hesitation in recommending it.

Hi
I have an opportunity to purchase a Coronet Herald lathe. I am new to wood-turning. It isn't cheap, but I get the impression that this is one of those moments when it might be worthwhile the investment. I would be grateful for views. Thanks
I was lucky enough to have a bloke teach me woodturning and let me use all his gear. He was a bit of a tool junkie, but believe me the lathe is the tip of the iceberg… youll need to spend a lot on gouges, parting tools, chucks, sanding equipment…. And most importantly gear to sharpen your woodturning tools.

maybe look for someone selling a bundle… a lathe with lots of other gear.

I also have this lathe, no complaints, easy to get to grips with, solidly built and a pleasure to use.
You may need to keep your hands in your pockets once you have it, lots of tempting options are available !

Rather than an adapter for each chuck, can anyone see what's wrong with just one adapter permanently fitted to the lathe spindle?

Sorry Phil but I shouldn't have phrased it as a question. I modified my lathe spindle in this way about three years ago and it has been trouble free ever since. I had sold my Vicmarc and was left with six chucks all M33 thread. My remaining lathe had a 1 inch 8 tpi thread, so I bought one adapter and secured it to the spindle with a grub screw. In effect the spindle is now M33, and chucks go on and off with no problem.

Back