wood turning handles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hughey

Established Member
Reaction score
I am wondering how popular the wood turning multi handles are? That is handles such as Vermec. Porforme, Oneway etc

So what do you use?

What diameter does it take?

If you have more than one whats your favourite?

What are its draw backs if any?

Hi Hughey

I've been mulling over ideas on how to make one of these multi handle doobries for a while. The thing that stumps me is how to deal with the differing tool diameters. I guess a collet would need to be made but I'm not sure if making the whole thing out of wood would be durable.

I don't own any multi-tool handle systems - mainly because I really don't think I could be bothered faffing about changing blades over all the time. I do own a couple of Sorby exchangable tip shear scrapers (bought in a sale!) and keep one with a round tip on it (which I use a lot) and one with a square tip on (which I hardly ever use). I like the way you can rotate the tips to a new sharp edge quite easily with the allen key - postponing a trip to the grinder for a little while longer!

tekno.mage

I have a few multi handles but i rarely swap tools over from handle to handle
i find the oneway expensive and too heavy for all day use
the kelton was far too heavy
hamlet do a nice handle
simon hope a u.k turner makes handles which are very nice and a good price- he can do ally or steel and can put a 1/2" hole one end with a 5/8" the other, if you ask him he can also do custom lengths for you- very nice chap and a talented turner.

I don't currently own any, and as yet have not found the need, probably because I'm not into large or deep turnings needing the extra leverage etc.

One observation I have to make, is that the various tool steel stock materials vary in size between the different makers, understandable I suppose if they are trying to maximise their own range sales, so a 'one solution meets all' needs to have some form of collet/twist lock clamping, don't know enough about them to know if such exists.

One annoying problem that has come up just recently is that tools imported from Aus-NZ (USA?) are described and sold by UK retailers, and in some cases the manufactures UK adverts, as metric I.E. 16mm when in fact they are 5/8".

.005" may be of no consiquence to a piece of wood but can be very frustrating when you have gone out of your way to obtain metric stock only to find it will not fit the the customers handles, so be warned check the actual diameter.

I have purchased a length of 1 1/8" dia aluminium bar and am going to make my own handels 18" long with 1/2" dia in one end and 5/8 " in the other.
This is going to be used for the handle less tools I have until I make my own hollowing tools using Munro tips. will post pictures when I have made them.

Aluminium and mild steel bar of Ebay found it was cheaper than trying to buy of cuts from suppliers

Back