Wood Rivers ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blister":3i6aljbf said:
Is the Wood River V3 plane marketed in this country as a Dakota or a Quangsheng ?
Shouldn't the question be: "Is the Quangsheng plane marketed in this country as Dakota and Quangsheng, and in the States as a Wood River V3?"
:lol: (hammer)

Cheers, Vann.

Had no reply yet so perhaps no one else knows either :?

I thought my question was correct

Is the Wood River V3 ( Marketed in the USA ) marketed in this country ( UK ) as the Dakota and Quangsheng :wink:

They're all made by Quangsheng (I think). Woodriver and Dakota are just marketing names. I believe there are minor differences, but whether that's just finishing differences, or different machining standards, I don't know.

Matthew will probably be along soon to tell us.

Cheers, Vann.

Hi,

They are all made in the same factory but different retailers have different specifications so there will be differences between the different brands.

Vann":1vwboxfe said:
Blister":1vwboxfe said:
Is the Wood River V3 plane marketed in this country as a Dakota or a Quangsheng ?
Shouldn't the question be: "Is the Quangsheng plane marketed in this country as Dakota and Quangsheng, and in the States as a Wood River V3?"
:lol: (hammer)

Cheers, Vann.

Agreed.

BugBear

The Wood river V3 bench plane in Rob Cosman’s video looks exactly the same as the Workshop Heavens V4 Jack planes I have (and very nice too)
The last couple of Dakota bench planes I have seen in my workshop from Rutland’s are the same castings but do not have such good quality fittings, the lateral adjustment lever in particular are a little poor on the Dakota version.

The Block plane looks different from the low angle Quangsheng’s I have in my tool kits.

Hope this helps Peter

Rob Cosman speaks highly of the WoodRiver planes because he is paid by their distributor, Woodcraft, to do so. There is no harm in that as long as you realize that he has a vested interest in such pronouncements and ten little mouths to feed at home.

Interestingly, I see much more on this forum about these Asian-sourced planes than here in the States. You Brits seem quite taken by them. Not so much here. We are much more enamoured by Lie-Nielsen and Lee Valley. Then again, they're all imports to you, aren't they?

My emphasis:
Handrubbed":16zm7hju said:
Rob Cosman speaks highly of the WoodRiver planes because he is paid by their distributor, Woodcraft, to do so. There is no harm in that as long as you realize that he has a vested interest in such pronouncements and ten little mouths to feed at home.
Do you have anything to support this defamatory remark?

If not, you might find life more agreeable were you to offer others the same regard and presumption of honour that you yourself might hope to attract.

Failing that, and having seen the peculiar venom directed at Mr Cosman on some of the US fora, it might be better that you crawl back whence you came.

Dunbar - I think you will find that Rob Cosman has a financial interest associated with Woodcraft in regard to the WoodRiver planes. To use his own words" I was not paid to appear in the ad. I am the one that was hired to make the planes better, hourly wage over and done, period."

He does indeed. It is the implication that he would tout wares which he considered below par merely for short term gain which is objectionable.

I certainly have no objection to you voicing your opinion, and perhaps he would serve as the endorser and spokesperson for Woodcraft at shows and Woodcraft stores for no compensation. I am confident that he would not serve in that capacity, paid or unpaid, if his comments regarding their products were not favorable. Perhaps we should say that it is fortunate that his endorsements for those products are supportive.

Please remember that like you, I have a right to an opinion.

As regards the iron and chipbreaker sets that were raised in this thread, the ones being sold by Lee Valley offer equal quality for much lower cost, at least over here. You also don't have to cannibalize your antique plane in the process, the way Mr. Cosman recommends in his video; filing the mouth, and removing the lateral adjustment lever and depth adjuster yoke pins. No, thank you.

I go to Woodcraft occasionally, normally when in the USA.

Since they've stopped stocking Lie Nielsen it's not as good; and now that you're met by the gurning face of Rob "no criticism" Cosman around the corner from pen kits, it's taken a turn for the worse. Still, I spend less now.

If the tools are good or not is irrelavant, it's like a Geoffrey Archer book, who cares about the content, the person behind it is the problem!

Aidan

I think Rob Cosman is very talented but I personally like to keep my old planes intact, cleaned and serviceable as the original makers intended. I would not spend £70 to £80 for a replacement blade and cap iron but would happily advice any one to buy a Dakota, Quangsheng or Wood River at such good prices. For the money they are fantastic and I am sure Robs advice is well meaning like mine, they are just very good planes.

I very proud to say I have always made my living through woodworking and have never owned any Lie Nielson planes to do so, which are undoubtedly superb!
My personal favorites are Clifton’s but most of my students buy Quangshengs or Dakotas after using mine. I find it morally difficult to try to persuade them to part with £300 to £400 per plane, when I Hope they can enjoy to use the various types we need without making them bankrupt before they have even started a very enjoyable journey.

Cheers Peter

Peter Sefton":9jf5nc7c said:
I would not spend £70 to £80 for a replacement blade and cap iron but would happily advice any one to buy a Dakota, Quangsheng or Wood River at such good prices.

Cheers Peter
My sentiments exactly.
Also, it should be borne in mind that Mr Cosman is a Businessman, as well as a Woodworker, and as such promoting a product that he has an interest in is not that surprising really is it?

As for a previous comment that ' all these planes are imports to us' do Lee Valley produce in the US now? Are the machines that manufacture many of the LN components US built from US components?

Handrubbed":jg06zm4b said:
As regards the iron and chipbreaker sets that were raised in this thread, the ones being sold by Lee Valley offer equal quality for much lower cost...
Irrespective of whether you or I like Mr Cosman or his endorsements - I don't think you can equate the Lee Valley (or Clifton or Lie-Nielsen) cap irons with the IBC one.

What sets the IBC cap iron apart from all others are the two little tabs that allow an unmodified yoke to adjust a thicker cutting iron.

Cheers, Vann.

If any members want to make derogatory comments regarding Rob Cosman can you please start your own thread as my original post was NOT to discuss this man , who he works for or how he earns his living ,

Thank You

Back