Wood question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougieH

Established Member
Reaction score
Picked up some different types of wood cheap today. Yew is approx 6in x 1.5in, elm is 5.5in x 0.5in, the lump at the back is 5.5in x 4.5in, but can anyone tell me what it is. I know the yew and elm are not very big, but I thought the markings on them would look really nice when finished. Going to try for a shallow bowl, very thin platter and a hollow form.

Doug

18032011228-1.jpg

eucalyptus possibly?

the elm certainly does look nice - and your subject choice looks sensible too. Look forward to seeing the result.

is the price written on them the price you payed? if so thats very cheap
beautiful wood too
sorry i cant help with the wood ID

Yes that was the price of them. Might have to go back this weekend and get a few more. There was a bit of walnut that looked a bit like the log. Could it be walnut. Hi Jumps, I have eucalyptus logs and they seem to be a lot whiter, Thanks for your replies.

Doug

DougieH":sz7xymj1 said:
Yes that was the price of them. Might have to go back this weekend and get a few more. There was a bit of walnut that looked a bit like the log. Could it be walnut. Hi Jumps, I have eucalyptus logs and they seem to be a lot whiter, Thanks for your replies.

Doug

Sorry Doug - whilst it's a colour match to stuff I was using today the heart and sapwood are reversed! :shock:

I get it fom a local tool shop. They also do second hand tools, lathes, bandsaws, grinders etc and they sometimes get wood blanks as well.

This is the wood on the faceplate with double sided sticky tape.

JanWoodComp008-1.jpg

The middle part of the base is soft and rotten. Disappointment or what.

JanWoodComp010-1.jpg

Finished the yew even with the rot, as its the first yew Ive turned.

JanWoodComp014-1.jpg

Lastly the elm. I can see a face from The Scream, and a topless bear. Will be looking for more of these woods, very nice to turn. Thanks for the comments.

Doug

JanWoodComp011-1.jpg

Nice bits of wood does the store you went to to get the wood have a mail order or web addresss so some of us can see the prices or products as well because as the guys here said that was a very good price.
Thanks and all the best. Tim

Sorry, thought you said topless BAR, must clean my spec's

That wood you have turned is fantastic by the way.

On the subject of wood identification, rather than starting a new thread, any idea what this might be, it was very wet when turned, needed windscreen wipers on the mask. (please advise if my pics are breaching the forum rules)

unknown1.jpg

unknown2.jpg

Regards

Simon

sorry this is completely off topic but are they homemade cole jaws? what are you using for the bumpers? wine corks?

Hi Simon, I`m still new at this game and my knowledge of wood type is very limited, but it looks a very nice bowl you have there. Did you make the support plate thingy yourself?

Doug

I made the "Cole jaws" myself yes from the aroundthewoods.com guide, they do work very well although I did mess the holes up on one of the jaws and it wobbles a bit, doesnt affect the finished bottoms though so never bothered replacing the bad one.

Mike, I made the "corks" out of a length of maple, just cut and turned them following the guide above (not sure if I am allowed to mention other sites again or am I allowed to link stuff?)

http://aroundthewoods.com/jaws.shtml (mod remove if its not allowed)

Made one taperd "cork", mount the next blank and use the previous one to mark out the next front to back size on a bit of threaded M6 bar and a wingnut in a jacobs chuck, then turn it down to size until I had enough (8). I am a huge fan of home made jigs

Back